Replace main iron stack with PVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Greenmountain

Reaction score
I have several plumbing problems I believe I can remedy by cutting off the original CI stack and rebuild back up from the bottom with PVC. Is it acceptable to use something like the Fernco No-hub Coupling
to attach the new pvc to the iron stub that would be left below the cut?

upload_2015-1-13_16-55-14.jpeg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You want a shielded connector - or, if you will have a hub in the CI you can connect to after removing the pipe in it, you can use a donut. A shielded connector has the same neoprene sleeve, but then has a metal one over top of it with two worm screw clamps. The metal shielding ensures the two ends stay aligned.

Greenmountain

Reaction score
like this?
sc-shear-rings.jpg

You want a shielded connector - or, if you will have a hub in the CI you can connect to after removing the pipe in it, you can use a donut. A shielded connector has the same neoprene sleeve, but then has a metal one over top of it with two worm screw clamps. The metal shielding ensures the two ends stay aligned.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, I'd not seen that brand, but as I understand it, it requires that metal reinforcing band to keep the ends aligned when used above ground to pass code. Sometimes, a no-hub is used interchangeably with a shielded connector, but was designed for today's modern literally no-hub CI installations. The art of pouring leaded joints is being lost, and the no-hub CI is a lot faster to install.

Greenmountain

Reaction score
would keeping hub or bell(?) and using a donut be preferable?

Yes, I'd not seen that brand, but as I understand it, it requires that metal reinforcing band to keep the ends aligned when used above ground to pass code. Sometimes, a no-hub is used interchangeably with a shielded connector, but was designed for today's modern literally no-hub CI installations. The art of pouring leaded joints is being lost, and the no-hub CI is a lot faster to install.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
mission_bandseal.jpg

Reusing the bell is fine too.
If you cut the cast iron hub off, measure the pipe for the new coupling. Some old cast is only 4-1/8", not the 4-3/8" of the current stuff.
If it's the smaller size, I pick up a coupling that is made for copper sizing on that side. Something like copper by cast.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks