Replace Gmax valve -have non fix type,can I replace entire assembly with Korky type?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by tototalitarian, Jul 3, 2011.

1. tototalitarian

tototalitarian New Member

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

For best operation, you have three choices: replace the existing valve which is non-repairable; buy the Toto version of the Korky valve; buy the ADJUSTABLE version of the generic Korky valve. The non-adjustable Korky (they all adjust in height, but not in the water distribution) won't fill the tank and bowl properly. The adjustable one takes a few flushes to get the balance between the tank and bowl proper. The one made for Korky has that adjustment made for you. The valve senses the tank water level. If the bowl isn't filled up by the time that happens, it won't flush properly. If it overfills the bowl, it wastes water. That's why you need one that can make the balance between the bowl and tank so they both fill to capacity at the same time.
  3. tototalitarian

This appears to be the correct replacement....

Lavelle #528T Toto Replacement Fill Valve

Their internet instructions for replacement looks simple.

I thought the GMAX feature was tied directly to the fill valve, but evidently the fast flush of the toto Drake is a design feature of the toilet itself and not the valve.....someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks all
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The flush valve and flapper are three inch. That provides the path.
    Raising the water height adds speed to the flush, some Toto products use the same 3" flush valve, change the water level and then use different flappers to only let out 1.6 or in some cases 1.28
    The fill valve refills the bowl and tank after a flush. The Korky 528 does not refill the bowl on the Toto.
    The Korky 528T has a restricter to the tank that allows the bowl to fill.
    The Korky MaxPerformance allows you to adjust the bowl fill.
  5. tototalitarian

So, Terry, which do you recommend for the Drake? The 528T or the MaxPerformance ? Thanks
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Either will work fine...it's just that the MaxPerformance one will need some tweaking out of the box to adjust the bowl/tank fill ratio (and is likely a little less money). There's a small valve on the thing to do that and it comes with instructions. The one customized for Toto works right out of the box.