Remodeling bathroom, long post...

Users who are viewing this thread

Billy

Reaction score
I would like to start by explaining my situation..... I recently bought the house that i was raised in and, i'm trying to bring it back to life. Have already restored most of the exterior and i'm in the middle of starting the interior. I thought the main bathroom would be a good place to start. I'm trying to do what i can on my own,... just to learn as well as to save some money. I am currently trying to decide what to do as far as a new tub. I remember many years ago that the bathtub stopped draining and was never fixed apparently. the problem ended up being a corroded overflow plunger being stuck in the closed position. There was next to no way to access the overflow while the tub was installed so i took the old tub out "cast iron"..... what a nightmare it was. I finally got everything cleaned out and a new p trap, overflow, as well as new connections everything was set in tarpon and cement so nothing went easy. Thanks to a plumber and around 500$ i'm good to go for the new tub/shower. So i went shopping around for a replacement only to find that 34" and up is sort of the standard around here. My alcove is 32" stud to stud. So, my selection of shower kits are sort of limited. So here is where my first question comes in...... I had a guy come out and bid me a standard ceramic tile shower stall. The price just for building the stall itself is 1400$..... does that seem like a fair price? I don't know of any other contracters in the area that do that sort of work so i have no other bids to compare. So, i'm considering going with a fiberglass tub/shower. The floor is level concrete so i should be able to get away with no mortar there. I'm just sort of at a point where i don't know what to do... any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated..... Thanks!

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Plenty of 6032 options!

Hi Billy,
It sounds like you're willing to go tub/shower, or shower only, right?

Okay............Here's 3 units that will fit in your alcove:

The first is a plastic tub, the second is a Toto cast iron tub (Terry can certainly help you locate one of these) and the third, an Americh shower base, is the exact unit I replaced my cast iron tub with very recently.

Any plastic unit should be set on a bed of mortar, even on concrete, just so it's able to be leveled without using just shims. The cast iron tub can be shimmed.

The biggest deal is going to be lining up the drain, so you'll want to get the tub or base first, then lay it EXACTLY where it's going, and take really accurate measurements for where the drain is going down to 1/16" in either direction.

It was easy for me as I had access underneath, but you don't. A plywood panel that fits snug in the alcove floor would be a fine template to use. Just fit it into the base plate outline, then put the base over it, and trace the drain circle cutout.

As you've noticed, the units I linked to all have left-hand, right-hand, or center drains available, but they're never, ever exactly where the old one was, says Murphy:)

This should get you started in the right direction. Of course there's nothing wrong with a tiled shower base, but these replacement units would give you more of a DIY option and should save quite a bit of money.

Best of luck!

Howard

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I encourage you do to do this RIGHT...no matter which particular type of tub or shower you choose. For starters, you CANNOT just make a tile floor on top of a slab. You absolutely must have a waterPROOF liner, and a mortar bed for preslope under it.

You can get great info on how to build showers on the tile forum, www.johnbridge.com

Fiberglass shower pans are also a good option, with tile, silestone, or acrylic walls....depends on how much time and effort, and $$$, you want to put in it.

Bathroom remodels do not involve mega-dollars in terms of the materials, so if you do it yourself, you really get a lot of bang for the buck. If you want to hire it done, a quality contractor will need to be charging anywhere from $75 to $150 per hour, depending on where you live, so the labor will be reasonable but not cheap.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The labor will be reasonable but not cheap.

Pretty good answer Jimbo.
If you can do the work yourself, there is a lot of savings.

Most homeowners can handle pans or tubs, and then doing the walls themselves.

Making a presloped pan is pretty technical.

I don't like the idea of fiberglass much for remodel, how do you get it in the bathroom?
Out in the lumber yard looking at a fiberglass stall looks pretty easy until you realize it won't go through the door.

Billy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still sort of up in the air on the ceramic tile shower. I would like to have one built but i'm still not sure if i'm being bid a fair price for a BASIC shower stall. I noticed that on www.johnbridge.com it says a standard shower stall is around 1900..... but man, those showers are awesome on that website. I think my guy is talking basic 4x4 ceramic tile and in a solid color.... no extra's. I wish i had the time to do one myself but, i just don't. Anyhow.... thanks again for the info!

Billy

Reaction score
Pretty good answer Jimbo.
If you can do the work yourself, there is a lot of savings.

Most homeowners can handle pans or tubs, and then doing the walls themselves.

Making a presloped pan is pretty technical.

I don't like the idea of fiberglass much for remodel, how do you get it in the bathroom?
Out in the lumber yard looking at a fiberglass stall looks pretty easy until you realize it won't go through the door.

I have a fairly small entry to the bathroom... and then a small wall that angles off to the right and into the tub alcove/shower area. Not a whole lot of room to work with but, I got the previous tub out of it so, i would imagine i could get a pan in if i had too.... not sure about that. I'm a total noob when it comes to bathroom repairs and remodeling :( . I keep thinking my best bet would be too have this guy build the shower but, i think he wants me to have the walls plumbing etc ready when he comes in to do the shower. Meaning he wants to do ONLY the frame and tile work..... no plumbing, wich i thought was a little weird.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Meaning he wants to do ONLY the frame and tile work..... no plumbing, wich i thought was a little weird.

I work with a lot of tiles guys that don't do plumbing.

I've done some tile in the past, but prefer not to.

Not to say that sometimes the lines don't merge back and forth, sometimes they do.

Framing?
Can you post some pictures of what you are talking about?

Billy

Reaction score
I work with a lot of tiles guys that don't do plumbing.

I've done some tile in the past, but prefer not to.

Not to say that sometimes the lines don't merge back and forth, sometimes they do.

Framing?
Can you post some pictures of what you are talking about?

I guess what i mean is the shower walls and ceiling and floor..... the shower frame itself. As far as a tile guy that doesn't do plumbing.... i figure if you going to build showers you should at least be able to install the fixtures and offer a completed shower.
I've added a few photos of the "space" in question.
002.jpg

003.jpg

Last edited:

Billy

Reaction score
Well, i have purchased the new tub to go in here, and i have encountered my first hang up. The overflow and drain is not lining up with the holes..... the over flow is about an inch too far to the left. I need to figure out a way to get the overflow moved to the right a hair but, it is already in concrete. There is a space around it where the concrete has been removed and a rubber tubing was used to attatch the over flow too drain pipe. Any suggestions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to break out some concrete around the drain.
New tub, new drain. It only makes sense.

While yhou are at it, replace the tub shower valve with a new pressure balanced one. Everything is open, now is the time.

Many plumbers like using Delta for the tub.

Billy

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, Yea, i will be replacing the faucet. I guess i'm going to need to call the plumber out.... I'm glad i'm not a plumber, much respect for you guys.

Thanhoadai

Reaction score
Hi Billy im from houston if u would like me to install tile for u i don't mind my price $900 tube add design $300. Shower $1500 add design $300 u get the materials give me a call Vo 832-766-9308 im currently work for Custom Ruby and Tommy Bailey homes.

Install:
Ceramic
Marble
Slate
Travertine
Tumble Marble
5/8 Marble
4 pieces pattern

Special:
Floor
Tube
Patio
Shower wall
Master bath
Hollywood bath
Powder bath
Living Wall
Entry Design
Plug on corner
Border out line
Kitchen Backslash with special design
Seal Tile
Repair damage or crack tile
Remodel tube, shower, or floor

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks