AC Drain Line into Tub Overflow - Can I reroute?

Users who are viewing this thread

bmillice

Reaction score
Hi there, I am converting an old tub to a walk-in shower as part of a complete reno on a bathroom in my house. I already did another bathroom years ago and some guys on this forum helped me tremendously, so I'm hoping for some advice here as well.

The problem is that I have an AC Drain line (primary I think?) that runs down into the tub overflow drain that I am removing. See picture:

IMG_7474.jpg

The ac drain line is the 1" pvc on the left running down to the old tub drain that I am removing. My question is, can I just tie that ac drain line straight into the main vent pipe (the 2" pvc that is about 4' to the right in the pic)? Or do I need to somehow tie it into the new shower drain once I cut out all the old tub stuff and cut the concrete back to the C.I. hub?

It seems like it would work fine just tying into that 2" vent pipe but then I'm not sure why it wouldn't have been done like that originally.

Thanks!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
No, you cannot tie in to a vent. There is supposed to be an air gap. Sewer and methane does not belong in the home air. Run outdoors or a utility room with a sink or....

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Many A/C drains we see have NO TRAP, or traps that become dried out. If connected to vent pipe, then that is a hazardous condition.
There would need to be a plumbing p-trap and trap primer to be a legal receptor that would then have an air gap over the receptor.,

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
For your AC drain line, you should be able to tie it into the main vent pipe without issues. Just make sure it's done properly to avoid any future problems. If you're unsure, it might be worth consulting with a plumber to get their input. It's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to plumbing! Best of luck with your bathroom reno, and I hope everything turns out just the way you want it.
No you can't do that.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your AC drain needs to tie into the tailpiece of a fixture with the proper fittings. Unless the new shower's trap and dragon will be accessible it needs to be tied into the lav (under a cabinet) or outside or possibly into a standpipe.

You could tee into your showers tailpiece and run a standpipe up into the wall with an accessibile box or something similar.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi there, I am converting an old tub to a walk-in shower
The shower will have a p-trap. Tie the AC into the standpipe of the shower. Its protected by the shower p-trap.

Or like Jeff mentioned above, connect it to the standpipe of the bathroom sink. That is really common.

bmillice

Reaction score
The shower will have a p-trap. Tie the AC into the standpipe of the shower. Its protected by the shower p-trap.

Or like Jeff mentioned above, connect it to the standpipe of the bathroom sink. That is really common.
Thanks everyone, I re-routed it over and down to to where the sink will be (inside a vanity cabinet) and I'll connect it there before (above) the sink's p-trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks