Rebuilding Norris Toilet from the 1970s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Musicdorian

Reaction score
Is it possible to get new parts for a Norris toilet from the 1970's? By this I mean, not the porcelin parts, but the mechanical parts. Where can I find parts? Is it worth rebuilding, or should I just buy a bargan American Standard? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your experience is typical...the toilet is over 40-years old. What's the per year difference if you spend a little more to get one that works well? A dollar or two a year? For something you use every day, often multiple times a day, is it prudent to skimp? The old one probably uses 5-gallons or so to flush, the newer ones max at 1.6, so there can be a huge savings in water and sewer costs, depending on where you live. Even if your costs are low, the environmental impact is big. Many utilities offer a rebate to update an older toilet. Look into that, and then compute how it affects your budget.

Not sure on that one specifically, but most toilets can be repaired or rebuilt. Your question, should be, is it worth it?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Why do people think when you flush the water it leaves the planet never to be used again? There are plenty of ways to save water besides a toilet. When I wash my car the water comes out of the same pipe as the water I drink. when I water my grass in the summer its out of the same pipe I drink out of. When people fill their swimming pool and keep filling it all year as it evaporates...they get the water from the same pipes I drink from. The fountains at the mall are filled out fo the same pipes I drink from.

I think I'll use all the water I'm willing to pay for......just like everybody else does.

If you live in the desert thats a different story,maybe you need to save water there.....but with thousands of underground springs there is no problem here. The problems in Cali and other places that have water trouble may need water conservation rules......just because they do doesn't mean the rest of the country does.

Because we have hurricanes...should the people in cali be required to have 150 MPH storm windows???? I think not.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Whether you believe in the policies of our government or not (remember, we vote for these people - you should vote), you can't sell a new toilet that still guzzles lots of water. Treating the sewage so it is easily reusable costs money, you either pay it in taxes or via a fee based on usage. Saving water makes sense regardless of where you live. Sucking that water out of the springs in FL has lead to sinkholes and the shrinking of the Everglades (blame lots of things, but water extraction for homes is part of it).

The federal regulations are leading to being more conservative, which keeps plant costs (NIMBY hassles and costs) down, and lets us do more with a growing population. You can see this in mandated insulation levels making new houses more efficient and comfortable, low-flow toilets, vanity faucets, showerheads, etc. All new stuff has to meet those regulations, and as people replace older stuff, they have to go with the newer ones. It's all part of the Energy Star and conservation thoughts.

Now, picking well performing products out of the mix of these conserving products takes some research and some adjustment on occasion. Just like the mandated fuel efficiency standards for cars has improved over the years with little to no performance impact, we're starting to do that with other natural resources as well.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Whether you believe in the policies of our government or not (remember, we vote for these people - you should vote), you can't sell a new toilet that still guzzles lots of water. Treating the sewage so it is easily reusable costs money, you either pay it in taxes or via a fee based on usage. Saving water makes sense regardless of where you live. Sucking that water out of the springs in FL has lead to sinkholes and the shrinking of the Everglades (blame lots of things, but water extraction for homes is part of it).

The federal regulations are leading to being more conservative, which keeps plant costs (NIMBY hassles and costs) down, and lets us do more with a growing population. You can see this in mandated insulation levels making new houses more efficient and comfortable, low-flow toilets, vanity faucets, showerheads, etc. All new stuff has to meet those regulations, and as people replace older stuff, they have to go with the newer ones. It's all part of the Energy Star and conservation thoughts.

Now, picking well performing products out of the mix of these conserving products takes some research and some adjustment on occasion. Just like the mandated fuel efficiency standards for cars has improved over the years with little to no performance impact, we're starting to do that with other natural resources as well.

The best way to get people to save water is to charge more for it. case closed.

Tell me the logic of limiting a showerhead to 2.5 gpm.....and then letting a guy install 5 showerheads? LOL

Same guy uses a 1.6 gpm toilet but then fills his 80 gal jaccuzi tub up......now that he has a energy efficient tankless water heater he can fill it up all the time without having to worry about running out of hot water.

I installed a tankless for a guy and he says his gas billed more than doubled......the kids take 45 minute showers now. The hot water never runs out.

I have a great idea to save water....do not allow multiple showerheads. Do not allow jaccuzi tubs. Do not allow irrigation systems. If God wanted the grass to grow there he would "make it rain"....LOL

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
norris_cracks_2.jpg

Another https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?19688-Norris-toilet-product-reviewNorris toilet bowl from the 60's
These babies last forever.
Except for all that cracking on the porcelain, and the bolts rusting out.

I replace a lot of Norris toilets that are starting to crack.
I had one in a home I lived in, and it plugged up fairly often even with a six gallon flush.

norris_side.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's really pointless to argue the water saving issue. The low flow toilets are required for new construction in the US whether you like it you not. Most early attempts were unsatisfactory, but most of the newer models work very well with the low water usage. Toto was and still is the leader in this technology. But that argument aside, why would you want to rebuild a 40 year old toilet? By the way, there are much better choice than American Standard, and do stay away from the builder grade toilets sold in discount stores.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks