RainBird zone will not turn off!

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by russrb, May 15, 2009.

1. russrb

russrb New Member

I turned my sprinkler system on this spring. Now one of my zones will not turn off! :(

I have replaced the solenoid but that has not fixed the problem.

The system is using RainBird parts.

Any ideas on what I can do would be appreciated!

Russ
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

THere are lots of reasons why a valve would not turn off, ranging from debris on the seat, to a torn diaphragm. Each problem has its own diagnosis and cure so you have to do some detective work first. The solenoid is usually not the cause, however.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Most likely dirt in the valve diaphragm or a torn diaphragm. They do wear out. You might find it worth the expense to have lawn sprinkler company come out and rebuild the valves. They can do it in less time than you could find the right parts.
  4. PSLawnService

PSLawnService New Member

Rainbird, Toro, Irritrol, Hunter - all have similar problems.
    Other posters have addressed the obvious problem - the diaphram.
    Another possibility is an obstrution (sand, dirt, ect.) in the small passage between the lower chamber of the valve and the upper chamber. An obstruction would operate to the same extent as your solenoid does - it closes the passage allowing the valve to open and stay open.
    Yes, do call your local professional.