Hookup issues with sprinkler irrigation

Users who are viewing this thread

TNooner

Reaction score
I have installed a 1” orbit inground sprinkler system with a dual zone. This is to connect to a pump that pulls water from pond. What do i need for a relay,wifi timer to turn pump on and switch from one zone to the next. Google is not giving me any answers. Not a business just a girl on a budget trying to setup a system to to get my grass to grow in Florida

Fitter30

Reaction score
Both zones piping in a common spot? Pump voltage and amps? Do want Alexa or Google Assistant for timing? Pipe size for both zones?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Orbit has a four station controller and you'll need a pump start relay plus a water resistance box for the relay. Connect the relay coil! to the MC lead of the controller. The relay can be used for a 120v or 240v pump motor. If you never worked with high voltage before, do hire an irrigation company.

TNooner

Reaction score
Both zones piping in a common spot? Pump voltage and amps? Do want Alexa or Google Assistant for timing? Pipe size for both zones?
1/2 inch for pipe to each sprinkler on both zones, pump is 1200w volt 120v. And yes if i can figure out what i need for a relay/timer to the pond pump to switch between zones to turn on off by wifi that would be my dream

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
How big is this pond or is it a retention lake for rain water runoff? If you're in a HOA, check if you're allowed to draw from the pond or lake.

Generally for the best performance with 1" valves, bring 1" pipe to the sprinkler tee and then reduce it to 1/2" to the sprinkler. There are several WiFi controllers, I have a Rainbird WiFi ESP-Me four zone controller. .

How many sprinklers per zone? 120 v pump is not the greatest but as long you do not over do the number of sprinklers. Type of sprinklers make a big difference. Pop-ups uses the least amount of water. Usually 1/4 to 1/2 gallon per minute. Rotary type can be over one gallon per minute. Old fashion impact type 3-4 gallon per minute.

For your 1/2-hp pump, 4-6 pop ups per zone, rotary 2-3 per zone. Impact 1-2. The best way is installed sprinklers that use about 1/2 the pump rating. If it rated at 6 gallons a minute, per zone should use 3 gallons per zone.

When drawing from a lake or pond, elevation impacts the performance of the pump. The pump instructions should show a chart. Most small pumps has a 1.5" input pipe. You'll also will need an intake screen and a check valve near the inlet above or below the water.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Be sure you’re using an irrigation pump. Irrigation pumps do not have a pressure switch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks