Pumptrol problem

Users who are viewing this thread

ddeblance

Reaction score
Ok, first off... I'm just learning about my well. My experience with my well is that I've replaced my pressure tank. That's it.

Now for the first problem. I have a 120 gallon pressure tank with gauge, a pumptrol sitting on top of a brass check valve that reads Flowmatic, and an air valve threaded into the brass check valve. Ok, I noticed awhile back that when the pump kicks on there a large trickle of water that comes from that air valve. Then when the pump turns off I hear an air sucktion that lasts for awhile. Is this normal? Or does it need replacement?

Second problem, started yesterday. I noticed the water pressure was low...extremely low. Walked out to the well and the tank was sitting at about 15psi. Took off the pumptrol cover and bumped the connection with the cover. Pump kicked on and pressure went back up to 60psi. This morning same thing. Low pressure. Bumped the connection and all was well. I ran the water in the house to see what happened and it went down down down...
But I walked out to the well and the pump was charging the tank.
The well is around 11 years old and the only thing that's been replaced is the tank. What do I need to do?? Where can I get parts for this??

-DD

R

Rancher

ddeblance said:
Now for the first problem. I have a 120 gallon pressure tank with gauge, a pumptrol sitting on top of a brass check valve that reads Flowmatic, and an air valve threaded into the brass check valve. Ok, I noticed awhile back that when the pump kicks on there a large trickle of water that comes from that air valve. Then when the pump turns off I hear an air sucktion that lasts for awhile. Is this normal? Or does it need replacement?
Ok it sounds like you have a standard pressure tank, no bladder. The air valve (sniffter valve) should not leak water, order another one. It will suck air in when the pump stops, this is where your air cushion in the pressure tank comes from.
ddeblance said:
Second problem, started yesterday. I noticed the water pressure was low...extremely low. Walked out to the well and the tank was sitting at about 15psi. Took off the pumptrol cover and bumped the connection with the cover. Pump kicked on and pressure went back up to 60psi. This morning same thing. Low pressure. Bumped the connection and all was well. I ran the water in the house to see what happened and it went down down down...
The Pumptrol is a pressure switch, it is either not seeing the pressure drop (plugged 1/4" pipe), or the contacts need cleaning. You probably should just buy another one from that same place.

Rancher

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you were here in Florida I would say spray around the switch with bug spray every few months to keep the ants from getting between the pressure switch points. Half of our service calls are to remove ants from switches. This does not mean a new switch is always needed, usually the ant will burn up and the switch will go back to working. If the points look slightly burnt, that is normal, if they are all black and nasty looking, you might want to change it. Like Rancher said, it could be a plugged pipe feeding the switch also.

bob...

ddeblance

Reaction score
Sorry for misleading... Like I said, I'm new. The tank is a bladder tank
I live in Southeast Texas so the ants are bad. I try to keep ant killer around the well, but I know when they get in because the pressure drops. And thats what I thought the initial problem was. But I checked and there is ants in the bottom plate of the pumptrol, but nothing in the contacts or mech. I try to keep it clean as possible. I've looked for parts but all I can find is the pumptrol. Can't find the brass check valve with the threaded hole for the sniffer valve. That's what it has now. I figured since I have to clean my shower heads and replace screens in faucets about every six months then it's probably building up in my well components also......

By the way while your answering my question. Does the tank have to be next to the well or can I move it? Liek right now my well sits out about 100 yards from my house. So I have this blue tank sitting in the middle of my yard. The water line comes around the side of my house to the back and in. Can I move the tank next to the back side of the house where the water comes in????

Thanks for the help..
-DD

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you have a bladder tank now, you need to plug the hole that the schrader valve is in. You will have spitting of air in the house if you don't.

bob...

ddeblance

Reaction score
Well, it did get air in the line awhile back. I pulled the valve off and cleaned the build up off of it and that stopped. But it still pools water when the pump turns on. I get some air when the bladder tank drops in pressure.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Plugging the hole in the check valve might help, but I would lose the check valve all together if possible.

bob...

ddeblance

Reaction score
Ok speedbump, might want to give me more info than that.

The check valve is the small air valve?? (aka: sniffter valve, schrader valve)
What is the brass peice that the air valve is screwed into? And what does that do?

Speedbump

Reaction score
The brass thing is the check valve. The little gizmo that is spraying water is the schrader valve. The check valve keeps the water from going back down toward the pump when the pump shuts off. Then the valve in the well opens letting water out while the schrader valve lets air in.

bob...

R

Rancher

speedbump said:
Plugging the hole in the check valve might help, but I would lose the check valve all together if possible.
Looks like you replaced a regular tank with a bladder tank, plug the hole where the snifter valve is, don't remove the check valve because there's a flapper (bleeder) valve down in the well that's purpose was to drain out a section of pipe so on the next pump cycle it would shoot air into the tank. It may or may not hold against the normal water pressure, but since it's made to leak, it may cause a problem. If you can pull the pump and take out that section of pipe so then you can take out that check valve and the sniffter valve. I've even seen that flapper (bleeder) valve as a marble against a brass fitting that had a hole drilled thru it, it would leak slightly even when the pump was running.

Rancher

Last edited by a moderator:

ddeblance

Reaction score
The original tank was a bladder tank that was installed with the well about eleven years ago. I had to replace the tank about three years ago because something hit the side and a pin hole leak appeared.

Now I just want to replace the snifter valve and the pumptrol if that's whats causing the problem.

R

Rancher

So are you saying the well has always had a bladder tank since it was originally drilled? Or just that the last two tanks have been bladder tanks?

Rancher

ddeblance

Reaction score
Yes, the tank that was installed when the well was drilled and that I removed was a bladder tank. When I called to get another one I gave them the info off the side of the tank and I went and picked up another tank. Not the same manufacturer, but same size and same holes. Water from well goes in from the side near the bottom and out from the other side near the bottom. About halfway up there's the threaded hole where the pressure gauge sits.

R

Rancher

ddeblance said:
About halfway up there's the threaded hole where the pressure gauge sits.
What you're describing is not a bladder tank, but a normal galvanized pressure tank. So you do need all the air make-up stuff. Speedbump, correct?

Rancher

ddeblance

Reaction score
I could swear it's a bladder tank. It's taller than me and I'm 6'1". Has the blue epoxy paint. I'll have to check it out when I get home.....
If it's a pressure tank it needs the check valve and schrader valve?

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
The tank sure sounds like a regular air over water steel tank, not a bladder tank.
Just to clarify, a Schraeder valve is like the valve you air a tire up with. A snifter valve is the type of valve that an air volume control uses.
If the tank isn't a bladder type, and there is a snifter valve installed, there should be a line from the valve to the tank.
Ron

R

Rancher

ddeblance said:
If it's a pressure tank it needs the check valve and schrader valve?
Yes it does, get the brand name and number off of it.

Rancher

R

Rancher

Pumpman said:
Just to clarify, a Schraeder valve is like the valve you air a tire up with. A snifter valve is the type of valve that an air volume control uses.
If the tank isn't a bladder type, and there is a snifter valve installed, there should be a line from the valve to the tank.
Ron, I think technically they are both Schrader valves, what makes the snifter unique is the low amount of pressure it takes to open it, which I believe is about 1psi. Are you supposed to run tubing from the snifter valve to the air volume control?

Rancher

ddeblance

Reaction score
Ok, the tank is a Pro-Source Retention Tank. I was wrong.

But on my way home I picked up another schrader valve. I removed the old one and before I installed the new one I noticed that I could see some white plastic inside the check valve. Well it looks like it has a crack in it.
So looks like that's my problem and needs replacing.

Thanks for all of your help with this and putting up with my lack of knowlege. But that's part of learning right.

ddeblance

Reaction score
Ok, problem solved. Over the weekend I pulled the check valve and replaced. I cleaned up the pump swithc of good measure. Been working fine with excellent pressure throughout the house, washing machine on and dish washer and all!!
Thanks for all the help and feed back I received.

-DD

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks