Switch failed ,pump ran for 2 days

Users who are viewing this thread

Zoo

Reaction score
Noticed low pressure, found the pressure switch tube was clogged after replacing the tube and switch. Pump will only get 20 psi. And pump will not cut off. It's 500 feet deep 2hp well pump.
I was going to try and change check value before holding tank. I do have air in holding tank.
A new pressure switch. How do I check the holding tank ?
Thanks Rob

Zoo

Reaction score
Noticed low pressure, found the pressure switch tube was clogged after replacing the tube and switch. Pump will only get 20 psi. And pump will not cut off. It's 500 feet deep 2hp well pump.
I was going to try and change check value before holding tank. I do have air in holding tank.
A new pressure switch. How do I check the holding tank ?
Thanks Rob
Would a bad value not let pump build up pressure or is my well pump shot from running two days with out kicking off do to a clogged pressure switch? Thanks for any help provided.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But the impellers in the pump probably melted down when the pump did not shut off. You can take off the check valve at the tank as it is not needed anyway. But that won't make the pump build more pressure. But without the check valve you can see if pressure is leaking down when no water is being used. That would indicate a hole in the drop pipe. But hole in the drop pipe or a melted pump, you will need to pull it out to see the problem. Sorry!

Zoo

Reaction score
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But the impellers in the pump probably melted down when the pump did not shut off. You can take off the check valve at the tank as it is not needed anyway. But that won't make the pump build more pressure. But without the check valve you can see if pressure is leaking down when no water is being used. That would indicate a hole in the drop pipe. But hole in the drop pipe or a melted pump, you will need to pull it out to see the problem. Sorry!
Now. I am only able to get 20 psi and pump does not turn off do to low pressure. :( it hold pressure but not build it over 20 psi. Looks like your right . Damaged pump. What is a good pump and control box to go with. Last time I bought one off ebay for like $260. For 2 hp and control box like 5 yrs ago. Is there any kind of device that will stop the pump from running for long time? Like in my case , pressure switch failed and pump ran for two days.thanks for the reply and help. Rob

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sorry! If the water level is anywhere close to 500' deep you will need a 10 GPM, 2HP pump. But no matter the depth of pump setting, the pump is only lifting from the actual water level. If you have a high water level and a strong well, you may be able to use a pump made for a more shallow well, and even set it more shallow. Not a lot of choices in 2HP, 10 GPM pumps. With a deep well and a high static the best thing to make the pump last is a flow inducer or shroud.

Flow Inducer Installation.jpg

Zoo

Reaction score
Sorry! If the water level is anywhere close to 500' deep you will need a 10 GPM, 2HP pump. But no matter the depth of pump setting, the pump is only lifting from the actual water level. If you have a high water level and a strong well, you may be able to use a pump made for a more shallow well, and even set it more shallow. Not a lot of choices in 2HP, 10 GPM pumps. With a deep well and a high static the best thing to make the pump last is a flow inducer or shroud.

View attachment 97062
Thank I will look into a flow inducer. The 2hp pump was only down 300 feet and had a hole in the pipe fitting at the pump. Not sure how deep it really is but was told it was 500 feet, however I see water about 70 to 80 feet deep.
I will replace fitting with stanless steal.
I want to clean my well and I see people using air to flush the water out is this something I should do or is using bleach and letting the pump run the water out the well the same thing?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sorry for your problem. A SS fitting should help. However, if a little electric tape had been put over that connection during installation, there would have been no hole in the nipple.

Air lifting a well is a big job. But chlorine will not clean the well, only sanitize it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks