Pretty please help we are stumped

Users who are viewing this thread

mackenziesmommy06

Reaction score
ok we are stumped...we have a well pump if we turn the pump on with faucets open we get water fine but as soon as we turn off a valve we lose all water and the pump loses all pressure...we have tried many ways..having kitchen sink bathroom sink and bathtub on i we turn either of them off the others lose water too and it has to be reprimed....my husband has checked the foot valve it is working...dont see any cracks in the pipe going down the well we have replaced the pump and pressure gauge....we have a 1/2 hp pump that sits above the well our water pipe goes down 25 ft we can see water in the well it is way above the bottom of the pipe... any ideas??

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
if we turn the pump on with faucets open we get water fine but as soon as we turn off a valve we lose all water and the pump loses all pressure
So your pump quits [or still runs?] when you increase the back pressure slightly?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You have a suction leak. You will not be able to see it. Tiny crack or hole in the pipe that is too small to even leak water, but air will go in no problem. As long as your faucets are wide open, the air will go out with the water. When you restrict the flow, it is easier to draw air in the pin hole than water from the foot valve and you loose pressure.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
we hauled some water and my husband adjusted the pressure switch and voila its working! yay
So the switch drifted out of adjustment or is in the process of failing? It's always good to ask: How many hours or days of no failures will it take to correctly conclude the problem is gone forever?

Last edited:

mackenziesmommy06

Reaction score
well i dont really know....i was just in the middle of a shower (still sitting here in towell and soap in my hair) and it turned off my husband is out tehre trying to get it back on now....its a brand new pump our old was doing the same though so not thinking it is the pump

mackenziesmommy06

Reaction score
ok soooo... we have water now BUT the pump is running constantly when we use water soooo not thinking the bladder tank is working my husband just checked the pressure in it and it is 38psi....our pump is set to 20/40 so he needs to let air pressure out right?? to be 18?? but would that cause the pump to run constantly

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks