Replacing pump - what do you suggest?

Users who are viewing this thread

dirtandlove

Reaction score
Please see pics.

The pump worked a lot longer that I expected.
When we moved here last July the bottom was already largely destroyed by the rust.
It finally stopped working. You hear the electricity engaging but the rotor does not move at all.

It is 3/4 HP Sta Rite SND-L Projet. I thought I could just replace the motor but the 2 bottom bolts that connect the motor and the pump are very rusty. One broke trying to unscrewing it. The other is frozen and the sockets of my wrench do not fit on it anymore. I will try tomorrow with a torch and a plumber wrench.

Maybe it is better to replace everything.
I saw this on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0C7ZHZGV1 but I am concerned with durability.

When I went to an irrigation store today they suggested a $600 Goulds 1 1/2 HP GT15 that it is an irrigation pump that it is more than 3 times the price of the Amazon one. At that time it is also when I found out that there are differences between "irrigation and house [jet] pumps" ...

Currently that pump only feeds a spigot. But we have plans to also use the pump for irrigation of our relatively small garden.

I do not know much about where the water is coming from. I think the pump is connected to a shallow well. We already have 2 other wells (one for house water and one for the sprinklers).
I am not sure if an irrigation pump would work with the well. Furthermore I am not sure how an irrigation pump would be able to turn on automatically with the spigot since they do not have pressure switches.

What do you suggest?

Attachments

• PXL_20240221_215448964.jpg
    PXL_20240221_215448964.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20240211_072733178.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240211_072733178.MP.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20240221_215453027.jpg
    PXL_20240221_215453027.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20240221_215456122.jpg
    PXL_20240221_215456122.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 22

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No, the GT pump won't be able to build enough pressure to work with a pressure and and come on when a spigot is opened. The jet pump you linked builds 160' of head (70 PSI) and will work with a 30/50 or 40/60 pressure switch. But there are better pumps and PLEASE purchase from ANYONE else. Like this.

The problem with any pump that uses a pressure switch to turn on when a spigot is opened, is that the spigot is never large enough to use all the water the pump can produce. This causes the pressure tank to fill quickly and the pump to cycle on and off, which is the worst thing you can do to a pump. They are made to run 24/7/365, but not cycle on and off very many times. Any of those pumps will work better and last longer with a PK1A control kit than even a huge pressure tank.

dirtandlove

Reaction score
Thank you for the answer! Btw, how long is this post approval thing going to last?

I am new working with pumps and I still have questions:

No, the GT pump won't be able to build enough pressure to work with a pressure and and come on when a spigot is opened.

But would the GT be better for irrigation of our garden?

The jet pump you linked builds 160' of head (70 PSI) and will work with a 30/50 or 40/60 pressure switch.
The pump I linked comes with a 30/50. That by the way arrived today but I am conflicted and I am thinking about returning it.

But there are better pumps and PLEASE purchase from ANYONE else. Like this.

Are you saying not to buy from Amazon? Can I ask why? My main reason to buy from Amazon is the hassle free returns and quick delivery.

Did you read the 1 star reviews of the pump you linked? They are a little concerning. Are you familiar with that particular pump? How did you pick it?

In general, my main concern with a not-well-known brand like both these pumps we are talking about is durability. If these would last 1yr and a Goulds lasts 10-20yr, it is definitely worth to spend 3x.

The problem with any pump that uses a pressure switch to turn on when a spigot is opened, is that the spigot is never large enough to use all the water the pump can produce. This causes the pressure tank to fill quickly and the pump to cycle on and off, which is the worst thing you can do to a pump. They are made to run 24/7/365, but not cycle on and off very many times.

As you said the current pump was going on and off continuously. So often that I was wondering if there was a problem with the switch.

Any of those pumps will work better and last longer with a PK1A control kit than even a huge pressure tank.

That PK1A kit you linked and others I found online are $500+.

The kit would cost almost the same of a good pump and about 3 times the cheaper pumps we were looking at.

As far as I know the sta-rite pump lasted 10+ years and it failed because of the rust.

Would not be better to spend that money in a good pump?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thank you for the answer! Btw, how long is this post approval thing going to last?

I am new working with pumps and I still have questions:

But would the GT be better for irrigation of our garden?

The pump I linked comes with a 30/50. That by the way arrived today but I am conflicted and I am thinking about returning it.

Are you saying not to buy from Amazon? Can I ask why? My main reason to buy from Amazon is the hassle free returns and quick delivery.

Did you read the 1 star reviews of the pump you linked? They are a little concerning. Are you familiar with that particular pump? How did you pick it?

In general, my main concern with a not-well-known brand like both these pumps we are talking about is durability. If these would last 1yr and a Goulds lasts 10-20yr, it is definitely worth to spend 3x.

As you said the current pump was going on and off continuously. So often that I was wondering if there was a problem with the switch.

That PK1A kit you linked and others I found online are $500+.

The kit would cost almost the same of a good pump and about 3 times the cheaper pumps we were looking at.

As far as I know the sta-rite pump lasted 10+ years and it failed because of the rust.

Would not be better to spend that money in a good pump?
The GT is a good pump and will work fine if you turn it on and off manually or with a pump start relay. But the GT does not come with a pressure switch for a reason. It doesn't build enough pressure to work automatically when a spigot is opened or closed.

Yeah, I don't like Amazon. I have always been able to find a better price and better service from someone else. It is usually not hard to find either. Took me years to get Amazon's teeth out of my neck, and they have destroyed a lot of other businesses as well.

I read the 1 star reviews. None of them sounded like a pump problem, but rather the individuals didn't have a clue what they were doing, which is very common with pumps. They both had 4.5 start ratings for all that means, just the Amazon pump looks plastic and the Leo looks like cast iron, but IDK. Brand name pumps have been cheapened up until they are not worth paying several times more for.

A pump going on and off continually is not a problem caused by the pressure switch. But it will be a problem FOR the pressure switch as cycling on and off is what normally destroys pumps, motors, tank bladders, pressure switches, check valves, start capacitors, start relays and centrifugal switches, and everything else in a pump system. Most pumps are destroyed from cycling on and off too much. Rusting out is a rare occurrence.

The PK1A kit comes with a CSV1A that is $224.00 by itself. Then there is a pressure tanks, pressure switch, pressure relief valve, gauge, wall mount brackets, and other fittings needed to install the included equipment. The quality of the pump is not as important as the pump controls. They don't make pumps/motors as good as they did on that old SND pump anymore. But by eliminating the cycling even the cheaper built pumps will last much longer.

While the PK1A kit offers a lot of quality and convenience, if you have the tank, switch, and all the other parts you need, the CSV125-3 works very well with jet pumps and only cost 89 bucks. https://cyclestopvalves.com/collect...ssure-valves/products/csv125-cycle-stop-valve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks