Pressure drops quick

Users who are viewing this thread

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
Yup thats the switch. The pump never turns off it just hovers at 40 and wont move and like I said now the pressure is bad in the house. Could sticking the hanger in that port have done something bad?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Wire hanger is not going to hurt anything and the pressure switch/gauge would still see higher pressure even if the line to the tank was clogged. Hovering at 40 PSI makes me think suction leak. Maybe a leak at that check valve or the hose clamps before the check.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you get a joint sopping wet with a rag, and the pressure rises, you have located a leaking joint.

4o PSI should not feel like bad water pressure in the house. I still think you should get a GHT pressure gauge. This is not to say that your pump should not be able to rise to the cutoff pressure.

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
You think that switch is the wrong one if it were for an air compressor? Could that be causing problems? It said it was for a waterpump

Reach4

Reaction score
You think that switch is the wrong one if it were for an air compressor? Could that be causing problems? It said it was for a waterpump
It may or may not be an OK switch. That sure does not look like the right switch, but I don't know. Maybe it is a dual-use air and water switch. I would have gone for the familiar Pumptrol switch myself. How did you pick that switch?

The main symptom right now is not the switch's fault. The water pressure stays lower than the intended cut off pressure. The switch is powering the pump on. So the switch right now is doing the job.

If once the pressure rises to where it should be, there may be a symptom that adjusting or replacing the switch could solve.

Reach4

Reaction score
I searched for a 40/60 switch online and that one came up
If you ordered a "Phoenix FSG2J24 40/60 PSI Water Pump Switch", they sent the wrong one I think. What you have looks more like the "Phoenix 69MB7Y 95/125 PSI 1-Port Air Compressor Switch with Unloader Valve ".

Last edited by a moderator:

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
You guys are the bees knees!!! Valveman you were right. It was the jet nozzle. I removed that plug again and worked the wire in there some more. Then I took my air hose and blew it out REAL good and bam, 60 psi!!! Only problem now is that switch is the wrong one as the motor never shut off. Thank you so much valaveman and reach4 for all you help it was DEFINITELY appreciated

Reach4

Reaction score
I am very glad you have the good pressure.

You can buy a water pressure switch locally, if you want it sooner. Pumptrol (Square D) is very popular.

With the pump stopped and the water pressure at about 50 PSI give or take 8 pounds, what does the air pressure read? It should be very close to what the water pressure reads. If not, there is a gauge discrepancy. There is probably no problem, but checking is easy. This is only done for the purpose of comparing your air pressure gauge to you water pressure gauge.

Then you will want to check the air precharge again, but maybe you will wait until the new pressure switch is in place. Never actually check or adjust the precharge unless the water pressure is zero.

JRC3

Reaction score
Awesome. Shame you don't have a Menards in NJ to go buy the correct [D] switch right off the shelf for cheap.

Reach4

Reaction score
How did you get the wrong switch? Did that air compressor switch come up in a 40-60 search?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks