Pressure drops quick

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Only getting 20 PSI means the jet nozzle is clogged. There should be a plug close to the suction opening where you can stick a wire in there and clean it out.

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
Could you tell me exactly what to look for and what does this jet nozzle do? I've never heard of one on a well pump before

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
A 35 gallon precharged pressure tank in good condition should never have a lot more than 7 gallons of water in it, and certainly not as much as 10 gallons. http://www.amtrol.com/media/documents/wellxtrol/MC7025_04_14_WXTsizingCard.pdf

Concentrate on getting your pressure switch and pressure gauge seeing the actual water pressure for the house. Is it clear to you that that is not happening now?

Consider getting a whole-house cartridge water filter. That would usually go after the whole house backwashing filter if you have one. A cartridge filter should never precede the pressure switch or pressure tank.

Since you know your well produces some gunk, I think it is good to drain the pressure tank periodically from the drain spigot at the tank tee to get rid of some gunk. You may consider using a hose to put the gunk out in the bushes. You could combine that with an operation to flush your water heater.
I have 2 filters I installed after my water conditioner. It still doesn't solve why my switch won't work

Reach4

Reaction score
Could you tell me exactly what to look for
You could post a photo. How about a brand and model number for the pump?

Look for second pressure gauge -- one with a garden hose thread. It should cost under $20 locally.

If I read correctly, you report 6 gallons of drawdown sfrom your 35 gallon pressure tank with a 38 psi air precharge. I think that implies over 50 PSI of water pressure. I think that despite your new pressure gauge + switch and cleaning gunk already, you have more cleaning/replacing to do. You report great water pressure in the shower.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I have 2 filters I installed after my water conditioner. It still doesn't solve why my switch won't work
You are right. The filters will be useful in keeping the stuff that gunked up your old pressure switch and gauge from getting spread around your plumbing. I presume the outside hose water splits off before those two filters. The outside hose bib would be a good place to measure the pressure with your new secondary pressure gauge, such as this gauge: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28976646 or http://www.lowes.com/pd/WaterMaster-200-lb-Pressure-Gauge/1126113

When you get the pump system working, the pressure gauge will be useful to let you check the pressure downstream of the cartridge filters to see if the cartridges/elements need changing.

Last edited:

JRC3

Reaction score
The tank is definitly not filling all the way as i can shake it and its not heavy enough to have 35 gallons in it.
P022---Modern-Well-Storage-Tank---Expandable-Bladder.jpg

Actually the pic is just a representation as an actuall pressure tank will only hold about 25% water.

I just dont understand why the pressure gauge doesnt show higher than 10psi but my home has great pressure. The water will also flow for a while with the pump turned off which tells me theres a decent amount in the holding tank.

Got a pic of the tank T, guage, and switch setup? You gotta have a blockage.

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
You guys are awesome and that makes perfect sense. I remember seeing a plug back there so I will do that as soon as I get home from work in an hour and report back. Would a metal clothes hanger suffice?

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
Ok so I took off the large plug right under the suction port and ran a coat hanger in there. It didnt feel like the wire went into a jet just felt like it was all open. Anyway the new gauge I put on was no good. I replaced it and the new gauge shows the pressure is 30-40 psi but now th epressure in the house is a lot lower for some reason.

Reach4

Reaction score
I replaced it and the new gauge shows the pressure is 30-40 psi but now the pressure in the house is a lot lower for some reason.
I presume the pump turned off, right? Do you have a model number and brand for that new pressure switch?

How does the pressure gauge reading move as the pressure rises to 40? If the pump turns off at 40 and you wanted it to turn off at 60, it sounds like that pressure switch did not arrive set to 40/60 as you anticipated. If you teed the pressure switch together with the pressure gauge, maybe things would work better. That is what I was picturing before your photos. Certainly then the switch and the gauge would have be seeing the same pressure

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks