Pool pump timer

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Razorhog, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Razorhog

Razorhog New Member

I'd like to install a timer for my pool pump. I'm thinking the Intermatic T104. I have a main pump for the filter and a booster pump that I only run when using a Polaris cleaning robot. I only want to put a timer on the main filter pump. Right now they are wired with on/off toggle switches. How hard would it be to replace the toggle switch with the timer? In the pictures, the main pump switch is the top switch of the two on the left side of the breaker box. The right side of the breaker box has a 110 outlet and a switch for the pool light. Thanks for any advice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  2. DonL

DonL Out of the Trades

I think you would be better off leaving the shutoff switch and just add the timer after the switch.

You may have a requirement to have a Cutoff. That would depend on your local code rules.

Good Luck on your project.
  3. Razorhog

Razorhog New Member

The only problem I see with putting the timer after the switch is that the timer won't keep time if the switch is off.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; I think you would be better off leaving the shutoff switch and just add the timer after the switch.

AFTER the switch would mean he would have to reset the time EVERY time the switch was turned off. Before the switch would be a more prudent way, although the timer itself will have a way to turn it off between cycles. The T104 is NOT a weatherproof switch, it is designed for indoor use only.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  5. Razorhog

Razorhog New Member

I'm thinking it might be easier and simplify things to just take out the toggle switch. Not sure about local code, I'll have to check into that.
  6. DonL

DonL Out of the Trades

That would not matter, because the switch will always be on. Unless you kill power because someone is stuck to the drain, or you are working on it.

You may have room inside the box for the timer.

hj Makes a good point, and that timer may need to be installed in a approved Box.

What is that timer in your picture being used for ?
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The circuit breaker is an "approved" disconnect so they would not need a switch. Just buy an outdoor timer.
  8. DonL

DonL Out of the Trades

True that, it should be a ground fault breaker.
  9. JerryR

JerryR Member

If you go for the Intermatic make sure you get the one that is rain tight. T104R. R = rain tight

I had these on both a previous outdoor 220 volt pool pump and a 200 volt sprinkler pump. The mechanical motor that turns the mechanism is the weak point.
  10. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

One problem with having just a timer is that it is very easy to space out and turn the pump back on when done servicing the filter or whatever when it should be off. Of course, it depends on the type of timer...