Plumbing test on new DWV pipes that vent into existing

Users who are viewing this thread

jhaug

Reaction score
I am doing a remodel in my basement, and I am putting in new drain lines under slab for a shower and toilet, the sink, because of location will drain into the 2in drain that my washer and utility sink use. because of the setup the drains will be vented in the existing vents which connect to the main stack. My question is, when my inspector comes out, how can he test the new DWV lines when the main bath is also connected to the same venting system. thanks for any info

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
You have to install test tees in the piping system where you tie into the drain and tie into the vent system.

That way you can put test balls inside the pipe to seal off and do a proper test.

cherne_clean_seal_plug.jpg

cherne-2-clean-seal-plug.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jhaug

Reaction score
when I put a test ball thru my cleanout to the old iron pipe all other openings plus the tee I put the ball thru have to be sealed, how do you get the test ball out without dumping the column of water used during the test. thanks for any input, i am stumped on this one and have been unable to find any info.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you let out a little air, then the water runs by it.
However, it can also spray out everywhere too.

If you had a test tee, then you could have used a test ball with threads.
Or if you had a wye fitting, you could have used a double test ball setup.
One mechanical ball seals the outer opening, while the inner ball lets the test drain down.

You may want to talk to the inspector too,
They often will let you test to the high part of the vent where it ties into the old work.

cherne_clean_seal_plug.jpg

Last edited:

jhaug

Reaction score
Terry, I haven't glued up anything yet, I have an abs 2 way cleanout going to 4in CIB(old DWV), then from the new clean out the shower then the toilet. I was going to use the 2 way cleanout so that after the test I could extend it to finish floor and have an extra cleanout(instead of burying the test tee in the ground). I assume that a test ball would have to be put down to the 4in CIB in order to test all new joints. when the test has passed and you need to remove the test tee or plug in order to get at the test ball, which would be downstream, wouldn't the pressure just force all the water out of the system thru the test tee. Am I thinking about this right? If the test ball goes up stream it would be fine but then the joint between CIB and ABS would not be tested. thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks