Old toilet replacement. Looks less than 10 inch rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

japple650

Reaction score
So I bought a house that was built in the 1940s. I don't believe the toilets have ever been updated. They are both horrible at flushing anything. The one I took pictures of is worst (probably something to do with it having the original flushing mechanisms). I was hoping to replace the toilets and bought a 12 inch rough in from a big box store (I told associate I had super old toilets, he assured me 99% of toilets are 12 inch rough in, thats what I get for not listening to my gut) and now realize I do not have a 12 inch rough in. Heck I dont even think I have a 10 inch rough in. If a 10 inch will fit I am going to go with the toto drake. Can you guys look at these pics and let me know what you think?

IMG_20131229_115504_031.jpg
As you can see it appears to be like 8 1/2 to 9 inches rough in.

2.jpg
Old 4 bolt.

4.jpg
Old Mansfield No 12.

IMG_20131229_115611_544.jpg
Etched numbers say 22 Aug 10 1946

IMG_20131229_115742_329.jpg
A look from in the basement. From the stud to a little over center of pipe is 10 inches. Don't know if this tells you anything or not.
Yes there is some old signs of leaking but inspector cleared it.

Reach4

Reaction score
While offset flanges are usually not liked, I suspect there is one that could get you another inch over your 4 inch cast iron pipe without being a clog problem.

You might use a square to get a better measurement from the center of your bolt to the wall (not the base piece).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm thinking you have a 4" pipe going up to the closet flange.
You can use a repair ring to offset the closet bolts and move the bowl out farther from the wall. You can pick up 1-1/4" by doing that.
The rough measurement is to the wall behind the tank. We don't worry much about floor molding or the curve of the tile at the floor to wall connection.
You will need a 10" rough, which is normally about 9-1/4" to the wall behind the tank.

So using 9.25 minus 1.25 you come up with an 8.0" rough if needed without doing anything to the closet flange, except for moving the bolts out from the wall farther.

I would not install an offset flange there.

red-ring.jpg

Flange repair ring.

Last edited:

japple650

Reaction score
When you say "use a repair ring" do you mean one of these or one of these?

I am pretty darn ignorant with toilets and everything that goes with them so how can either of these products move my bolts out farther?
I don't understand how that would work.
Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you'd probably be better off with the second one, but wait for a pro to confirm. You'd need to seal around that to the old toilet flange, then a wax ring would seal the toilet to the repair ring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks