Looking to match old toilet footprint

Users who are viewing this thread

seocom

Reaction score
Hi All,

New member and first post.

I am replacing an old toilet in an older home. There is an existing plaster mounting pad, in good shape, but I cannot seem to find a current now toilet that will fit on this properly. Pad measures 10" wide by 20" deep, with the hole dead center in pad. All the new toilets that I see are slightly wider and about 3 - 4 inches longer, and this does not even toke into account that the drain hole on the new ones are offset from center, so there would be more overlap on one end. The rough out is 12", so no problem there.

I have included two images, one a sketch of pad dimensions, and the second is a photo of the bottom of the old toilet that was here.

If anyone knows of a toilet manufacturer that makes a new toilet that would fit this mounting pad, I would certainly appreciate it. Other option would be to add/extend the edge of the pad with either plaster, tile, or wood, etc. so as to accommodate the footprint of a new toilet. Any thoughts either way???

Many thanks in advance,
Stan...

Toilet Pad.jpg
Toilet Bottom 640.jpg

seocom

Reaction score
abandon the mounting pad altogether. We neither need nor use such.
Thank you for your thought on this. Unfortunately I had to do other work prior that I did with PVC, like replace most of the stack and venting, and re-mount everything in the area, so if possible, I would like to retain this pad in place. Besides, the pad would be more level and stable than some of the really old bare wood floor underneath.

I had had the same thought as you when I ran into this issue, but at this point, I really don't want to re-do everything that I had done over the past few weeks.

Thanks again for your time and answer...

Peterson

Reaction score
That looks like a really old bowl. Can the existing toilet be repaired and re-installed? If the pad was made specifically to fit that toilet bowl, I'd be tempted to try to repair it.

The Kohler Memoirs bowl has a 10 inch wide footprint, but there would be overlap in the front. Maybe possibly do something to extend the mounting pad by an inch or two?

seocom

Reaction score
That looks like a really old bowl. Can the existing toilet be repaired and re-installed? If the pad was made specifically to fit that toilet bowl, I'd be tempted to try to repair it.

The Kohler Memoirs bowl has a 10 inch wide footprint, but there would be overlap in the front. Maybe possibly do something to extend the mounting pad by an inch or two?
The house was built in 1889, so everything in it is old, very old... I had originally thought of reusing the old one when I started doing the other work on the pipes, but the existing one had too many sins, so I decided to replace with new, and ended up cracking the tank along the way anyways. I will have to check out the Kohler you mention. I did come across a couple of Galcier Bay units that have a width of 10.25 inch and figure dividing the extra 1/4 inch I'll have a 1/8 inch overlap on either side that can be filled in, as long as there is the support to mount the toilet bowl/base and keep it level. I do have wood that matches the height of the pad and plan on extending the front of the pad with that as needed.

Thank you for your reply,
Stan...

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking Plaster of Paris is water soluble with time but searching comes up with many suggestions other than straight water.

Removal is a possibility.

seocom

Reaction score
I was thinking Plaster of Paris is water soluble with time but searching comes up with many suggestions other than straight water.

Removal is a possibility.
Hi,

Many thanks for you taking the time for this reply. At this point, for several reasons, I am planning on using the existing pad for mounting the new toilet on. But thanks again for your thoughts…

Stan…

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks