Oil to Gas Boiler Conversion Run-Around

Users who are viewing this thread

BadgerBoilerMN

Hydronic Heating Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.badgerboilerservice.com
The type of radiation and the mode of distribution have little to do with the boiler choice or size (unless the system is steam). Your "veteran" (a term a reserve for those who have actually served) gave the predictable response. It is a sad fact that those who have been in the business longest often are the same ones who haven't changed their minds since the first day, a good way to make money perhaps but an attitude that serves the customer poorly. Note that oil boilers must be serviced every year and oil is an unstable commodity tied to the world market, whereas natural gas is domestic, secure and is cleaner by half than fuel oil.

First, a heat load must be done, this is the only way to properly size a boiler, be it replacement or new construction. If you insist on a computer generated heat load analysis, you will thin the field to one or two.

Once the heat load is secured available fuel should be considered, if there is an up charge for gas line it is factored into the 20-year life of the boiler (not how long you will be living there, as you can sell a good fuel bill).

Finally, radiation and to a lesser degree, distribution can be factored in. If the contractor can tell you how much radiation you have, its potential output and the relative load, he can crack wise about condensing boilers. Ask him, how many condensing boilers he has installed in the last say, 40 years.

http://www.badgerboilerservice.com/contractor.html

He may be right about your situation, but I doubt he knows why.

DanBoston

Reaction score
I have decided between three different gas-fired mod-con boilers: Burnham Alpine 80, HTP Elite 80 and the Prestige Solo 60. These units all have the same lowest min (16 K btu/hr). My heat loss rate is between 25 to 35 K btu/hr. Am I better off going with the lowest max available (e.g., the Solo 60) or does it not really matter?

Alpine 80 output (min/max) = 16/80

HTP Elite 80 output (min/max) = 16/80

Solo 60 output (min/max) = 16/60

Also, if properly sized, do I really need a buffer tank?

mike02563

Reaction score
Dan, what system did you end up with and how has it been performing? I'm looking to make a decision on a new furnace in an oil to gas conversion myself. The cheapest is the Burnham Alpine being offered from National Grid for around $1K after rebate. The HTP Elite had seemed like a better furnace and with a higher rebate may not be that much more then the Alpine. I haven't been able to read many reviews on the Elite that is until I read some reviews on the Munchkin and from my understanding made from the same company and are built similarily? I had heard that was a solid furnace but after reading the reviews on this site her, I am no sure I should go with either.

http://www.furnacecompare.com/furnaces/munchkin/reviews
http://www.furnacecompare.com/furnaces/burnham/reviews

I'm just looking for some advice on what furnace to get and will be making a decision soon. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
IIRC he ended up with something completely different.

BTW: "Furnace" usually refers to a ducted hot air heating system, whereas hydronic (pumped hot water) boilers were danboston's quest. Which are you looking for?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks