Pulse

Reaction score
Laars - MFTHW140 - $2200

Pump: Yes, installed(unknown type)

Warranty: 5yr parts/10yr HE

---

Lochinvar Knight - WHB110N - $3800-4200

Pump: Yes, ships separate(UPML 25-104)

Warranty: 5yr parts/10yr HE(prorated till 15)

---

US Boiler Aspen - ASPN-110 - $3800

Pump: No

Warranty: 5yr parts/7yr HE(prorated till 12)

---

All 3 of these boilers have a fire tube heat exchanger with a 10:1 turndown. The Knight and Aspen have an identical HE design(?), while the Laars is fairly different(looks similar to HTP). The Laars is a 140k BTUs compared to the 110k of the others(Laars 100k model does not have a 10:1 turndown).

What am I missing? Why is there a roughly $2k difference in price here?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Larrs has a 5-1 turndown and stainless tube heat exchanger aluminum fins. Other two have the 10-1 turndown and just list a stainless heat exchanger. Lock lists a ecm pump, 15 year warranty hx, 5 parts can be wifi capable.
Larrs 10/5 warranty
Aspen 7/5 warranty
What water temp are you running now? All hi efficiency boilers get their efficiency from condensate return water has to be 140° cooler the better, above 140° drops to 87%. There's federal tax credits and maybe state credits

Pulse

Reaction score
Larrs has a 5-1 turndown and stainless tube heat exchanger aluminum fins. Other two have the 10-1 turndown and just list a stainless heat exchanger. Lock lists a ecm pump, 15 year warranty hx, 5 parts can be wifi capable.
Larrs 10/5 warranty
Aspen 7/5 warranty
What water temp are you running now? All hi efficiency boilers get their efficiency from condensate return water has to be 140° cooler the better, above 140° drops to 87%. There's federal tax credits and maybe state credits

The 140k Laars model I have listed has a 10:1 turn down, that is why I chose it over the 100k model, that only has 5:1. It can modulate down to 14k vs 20k.

Where did you read the Laars HE has aluminum fins?, that is the type of info I am looking for.

My planned supply temps should not exceed 140(0 degree/negatives), it will be around 130 on a design day, then only get better. So my return temps should always be in the condensing range.

Pulse

Reaction score
Mascot mt model
First page that came up
These factories are making so many models need to contact each factory for.the correct submittal

that is an older model, they didnt even bother to change the model number, -.-

Fitter30

Reaction score
Don't care what the warranty is my interest is in the relationship with the distributor. Have a problem that is on going a contractor that doesn't have have a relationship is very hard. The installation crew level, plumb and square. People your comfortable with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks