oatey pipe joint compound in the well?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by wellington, Oct 16, 2009.

1. wellington

wellington New Member

i've been trying to get my well back in action for a few days now, got rid of the old pump and replaced the intake pipe in the well... at the end of that pipe is a new foot valve thread sealed with oatey pipe compound, (on glowing recomendation from the hardware store guy)... concern comes to me that night; this wierd goo is now sitting in all the water that my wife and my little ones are going to be drinking... msds sheet says some thing about diarrhea and dermatitis, and the central nervous system... then claims it is non-toxic, i am about ready to pull this foot valve up and start again... any opinions on goo soup?
    thanks.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

We use stuff like that on water lines all the time.
    You smear it on the male threads, and tighten up the fitting.
    Very little if any ever gets inside the pipe.

If you smeared it on the outside of the pipe beyond the fitting, I guess it will just stick to the pipe until it coats over.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  3. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

It probably is fine but you can read the label on the can and see if it is rated NSF Standard 61 for potable water use or not.
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

One reason for having it get into your water lines is improper application of the product...It should only be put on the male threads...if it is used on both male and female you can end up with a large wad of it going through the water lines and clogging up an areator or possibly a cartridge...

Apply only to male threads...
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Oatey

IF you only applied it to the male threads, and IF you applied it with a brush and not a trowel, then HOW could it get INSIDE the pipes?
  6. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

You can download the MSDS sheet from Oatley's web site.

I believe if I recall, that it is listed as non toxic.