No recirculating hot water after water heater installation - photos

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by KarenS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. KarenS

KarenS New Member

Water heater installer says he didn't change anything. But we had instant hot water for 15 years; now we don't. The pump itself is very hot. I've taken photos--don't know what's relevant and what's not. Can anyone see anything that looks wrong in the photos? Any suggestions? I can take more photos if I've missed an important view.

Fingers crossed...
    Thanks,
    Karen heater10.jpg heater02.jpg heater06.jpg heater05.jpg heater08.jpg
  2. Dana

Dana In the trades

If the pump itself is "very hot" there's some chance that it's "on", but not turning. (Due to crud in the impeller, frozen bearings, or an electrical fault in the motor itself, etc.) If you have the necessary electrician skills you should be able to determine with a meter and some probing whether power to the pump motor is on, and you'd also be able to tell by listening or feeling whether it's actually spinning. But a "very hot" motor reads like it's pulling power 100% of the time even if it's not spinning.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

When I've seen that, it's been a bad motor. Fifteen years is a long time for a pump.
  4. dont some brands have check balls in the nipples going into and out of the water heater??
    just wondering if they could be restricting or stopping the flow through the heater

the gas line looks pretty crappy and ought to be made to look better....
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Your photos do not show a check valve in the pump's line. If is there, it may be installed wrong or not working. If it is not there, you will NOT get hot water quickly, and may not even get ANY hot water.