Need help deciding between 3 gas water heater models

Users who are viewing this thread

fegordon

Reaction score
I keep seeing such mixed reviews on everything. I need a 50 gal, ultra low box gas water heater. The 3 options I've found are:

Rheem 22VR50FN available with a 10-yr warranty
Bradford White U45036FRN -394 with a 6 year warranty
GE SG50T12TXK00 with 12 year warranty

I know the GE is made by Rheem. Seems like the best bet because of the warranty but I've seen reviews saying don't buy from Home Depot. What would you recommend?

Thank you!!!

joemcl

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can buy a Rheem 22V50PROFN. Which has an eight year warranty. Add a 4 year warranty upgrade kit (SP20079) which is an extra anode rod that gets put in place of the hot water supply nipple, and some paper work to be sent back to Rheem. This will give you a 12 year warranty, as well as extra protection in your tank. Also, I do not buy anything from the big box stores.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ge_wh_gas_bad_2008_1.jpg

GE water heater that was replaced five years and two months after manufacture date.
That's three in the last six months for me that didn't last six years.

Reaction score
You can buy a Rheem 22V50PROFN. Which has an eight year warranty. Add a 4 year warranty upgrade kit (SP20079) which is an extra anode rod that gets put in place of the hot water supply nipple, and some paper work to be sent back to Rheem. This will give you a 12 year warranty, as well as extra protection in your tank. Also, I do not buy anything from the big box stores.

Does anyone else offer an "extra anode rod" upgrade kit?

Is there a generic stubby anode that could be used on different brands?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Terry do you still charge for the labor to replace one even if it is under the manufacturer's warranty??

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry do you still charge for the labor to replace one even if it is under the manufacturer's warranty??

The GE water heaters were installed by someone else originally. I didn't even think to ask about that.

I'm installing a Rheem water heater tomorrow with the extra add-on anode to make it a 10 year out of a six.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When a heater fails under the manufacturer's warrantee I do replace it and charge for the labor

I had a leaker brand new AO Smith 75 gallon I back charged my supply house fro the time to uninstall it and take it to them and the time to reinstall a new one

I told them they need to get AO Smith to make good on my labor

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks