Can Gas Water Heater sit on garage floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Murphysf

Reaction score
Hello

My current gas water heater ( AO Smith PGXH 40 248E ) is about 20 years old 3/10/2003).

It is standing on a wood pedestal about 19 above the garage floor. The water heater itself is about 55" tall (from the top of the pedestal to the top of the water heater).

I am looking for a replacement and am looking at the Bradford White URG140T6N which is about 58" tall.

Question: can I eliminate the pedestal and let the water heater stand on the garage floor if I go with the Bradford White URG140T6N?

I understand that the Bradford White is FVIR but wanted to add that my car is parked about 5 feet from the water heater.

Murphysf

Reaction score
for natural gas can the gas line go directly into the gas control valve or does it need a sediment trap?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
for natural gas can the gas line go directly into the gas control valve or does it need a sediment trap?
Here's the code language on the question: "Where a sediment trap is not incorporated as a part of the appliance, a sediment trap shall be installed downstream of the appliance shutoff valve as close to the inlet of the appliance as practical at the time of appliance installation."

Not sure if a modern water heater would incorporate a sediment trap or not. There's a list of exempt gas appliances, but water heaters and furnaces are not on the list (gas ranges and dryers are exempt).

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
install sediment trap its required by code and manufacture. no exception for your water heater it requires 2 nipples ,a tee , and a cap. very easy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks