Need Basement bathroom Rough-In advice. Pics included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Here in the U.S., ABS is common in some states, while PVC is prevelant in others, and some areas I see both. We like to keep our inventory as simple at possible, so we stick with PVC and cast iron. In some places cast iron pipe is mandated below grade. Given that those 3 have a long track record of proven performance, I would find no reason to try any other.

khedrei

Reaction score
cacher_chick, thank you. You're advice has been most helpful.

I agree HJ, and I will be using the transition cement or a Ferco depending on how it comes together. I suppose it could still be possible for the joint to fail years down the road, but by that logic, ANYTHING is possible. It is IAPMO listed as an approved product and one of the few options. Interesting that Tom Sawyer in one post says that transition cements aren't legal anywhere, and cuts up my friend with sarcastic comments.... then, not two posts later admits that he himself has even come across places that they are legal. It is comments and advice like that which get me ticked off and willing to get into arguments. If you are a true professional, be just that. Be professional, express your views, make your OPINION known to be just that, and let FACTS speak for themselves. But most of all, be consistent. I have read other posts in this forum where you simply post a "that's illegal" with no explanation and the person receiving the comment proves you wrong, or at least disagrees, maybe with no official proof.

rosem637

Reaction score
Just call your local building inspector and him them come over. They will provide you the proper answer. Case closed

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep, case closed indeed.

There the right way and the hack way. Which are you?

Last edited:

Errol Gonsalves

Reaction score
Do whatever you want. It's your house.

That's the advice you wanted isn't it?

Transitions glues aren't legal anywhere, not even Canada but your friend of a friend knows better right?
I am quite familiar with Canada's red seal code BTw but by all means, carry on.

His friend of a friend certainly knows better...than you. Transition glue is perfectly legal in Canada, according to 7.2.5.11 of the Ontario Building Code:
transition.jpg

Errol Gonsalves

Reaction score
His friend of a friend certainly knows better...than you. Transition glue is perfectly legal in Canada, according to 7.2.5.11 of the Ontario Building Code:View attachment 28146

I am looking for some advice on exactly where to put the vent(s) in this situation. I want to do this properly and use whatever sizes of pipe required by code. I have the chisel on hand so I will do what is necessary regarding distances from traps to the vent.

This is my own personal basement.

Two pictures included are side by side.

The size of the room is about 8' X 5'

Shower on the far right, toilet in the middle, sink on the left.

The run from the shower drain to the main sewer line is about 8.5 feet. Distance from the toilet after it makes the bend is about 5.5 feet. What I planned so far is to run the shower in 2 inch abs, to a wye fitting (2x3x3) from the toilet which would be 3 inch and that would run to the main line. What I do not know is exactly where to put the vent or vents and what size they should be. I assume the vanity can be hooked up basically at the wall tying into the current drain and vent as it is right now.

The vertical pipes are the drain from the kitchen sink upstairs and to the right of it is a vent to the roof. Previously, there was a laundry tub hooked up where you see it cut.

Also, the builder looks to have used green PVC. I don't see that sold at big box stores. Is it the same grade as white? Should I be running all this in PVC or ABS? Can I use white?

If my sizes or plan is incorrect or not ideal please let me know. I'm sure there is more than one way to do this, so I am looking to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks very much.

I am looking for some advice on exactly where to put the vent(s) in this situation. I want to do this properly and use whatever sizes of pipe required by code. I have the chisel on hand so I will do what is necessary regarding distances from traps to the vent.

This is my own personal basement.

Two pictures included are side by side.

The size of the room is about 8' X 5'

Shower on the far right, toilet in the middle, sink on the left.

The run from the shower drain to the main sewer line is about 8.5 feet. Distance from the toilet after it makes the bend is about 5.5 feet. What I planned so far is to run the shower in 2 inch abs, to a wye fitting (2x3x3) from the toilet which would be 3 inch and that would run to the main line. What I do not know is exactly where to put the vent or vents and what size they should be. I assume the vanity can be hooked up basically at the wall tying into the current drain and vent as it is right now.

The vertical pipes are the drain from the kitchen sink upstairs and to the right of it is a vent to the roof. Previously, there was a laundry tub hooked up where you see it cut.

Also, the builder looks to have used green PVC. I don't see that sold at big box stores. Is it the same grade as white? Should I be running all this in PVC or ABS? Can I use white?

If my sizes or plan is incorrect or not ideal please let me know. I'm sure there is more than one way to do this, so I am looking to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks very much.
No new vent needs to be ran. You can transform your drains into a WET VENT for your new bathroom:
1. Cut out the 90 from the stack and cut your vent and kitchen drain
2. Use 4x3x4" ABS Cleanout Tee with plug
3. Use a 3x2 ABS flush bushing for top of cleanout Tee
4. Use a 2x2x2 ABS wye
5. Use a 2x1.5" ABS bushing for top of wye; Kitchen sink drains into the top of the wye
6. Use a 2" ABS 45 street to the side of wye and run a 2" drain
7. Use a 2x1.5x1.5" ABS wye on its back, 1.5" ABS 45 street on top to 1.5" vent, other 1.5" to a 1.5" drain, 1.5" cleanout, and to 1.5" trap arm of LAV
8. Use two 4" ABS 45 elbows for a long turn from vertical to horizontal drain under slab
9. Use 4x4x3 ABS wye off the sewer drain
10. Run a new 3" ABS drain off the wye
11. Use a 3x3x3 ABS wye off the new 3" drain
12. Run 3" ABS pipe for the toilet drain
13. Use a 4x3 ABS Closet 90 for the toilet turn
14. Use a 3x2" ABS flush bushing on the wye for the 2" shower drain

By upgrading to a portion of 2" pipe above the clean out, the drains below the cleanout becomes a WET vent for your new bathroom group. Alternatively, and to further appease the plumbing gods, you can enhance the configuration above by adding a 2x2x1.5" wye to near the top of the shower drain and vent off the centre line, tying back into the MAIN vent line above the LAV with a 1.5" sanitary tee (make sure the TEE is >6" above #7)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks