need a 1 piece, concealed trap, Toto, that fits an 11.5 in rough in. Help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

captain pat

Reaction score
I've searched, and I haven't found what I am looking for.

This place is pretty amazing, and I thank you for assisting me in finding this item.

I need a 1 piece, I'd prefer to NOT use a unifit adapter, because I don't fully understand them.
I want a Toto.
I want a concealed trap.
I want white.
I also have a 5.5 inch supply stub, so I need a Dahl valve to make it pretty.
I am open on the price.

Can you suggest a model that fits these needs? Many thanks if you can.
Pat

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are thousands of Totos installed out there with the Unifit...I have two in my home. They work fine. To install, you have to drill four holes in the floor. The front of the thing bolts to the flange as if it was a regular toilet with a wax ring. Then, once the adapter is installed, you set the toilet down over the adapter. The back part that you anchored to the floor with those 4 screws has slots for a second set of toilet bolts - these fit up through holes in the toilet and you bolt it down with those onto the firmly anchored adapter. Takes a little longer, but is easy.

Those toilets that use the Unifit normally have a gap of 3/4" behind them. So, you'd nomially have a gap. When installing the adapter, you can fudge it forward maybe a 1/4" and still be able to install the anchor bolts at the flange and still not create a ledge with the waste trying to go down the drain...the fact it isn't perfectly centered isn't an issue as long as there's no interference. So, you could end up with maybe 1/2" gap, if you wanted to fudge the whole thing at all.

I'm not familiar with the whole line, but all of the units with the Unifit have an enclosed, hidden trapway (which is the Unifit, which is why they are skirted, to hide it). I have a Vespin and a Carlyle in my home. They all work, it's a style thing as to which one you might choose (along with the price).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is understandable that you are hesitant to consider a toilet using a UniFit adapter. Are unique to Toto and only about 7 models use them. However, they are not that difficult to understand if you will take a few minutes to follow these links. First, go to the top of this page and click on "Toilet Reviews". On the pages that follow, click "Shopping" then "Toto Toilets". Now scroll down to "Toto Vespin" and click "Order Unifit Adapter". Finally, click on "UniFit Rough-In Adapter". This will give you some excellent pictures and illustrations of the UniFit Adapter and should easy your concerns about them. The following models use the Adapter (there may be one or two I missed) Carlyle, Carrollton, Guinevere, Lloyd, Pacific, Soiree, and Vespin. Not all are one piece.

Last edited:

captain pat

Reaction score
Thank you , Gary. Great information. The one thing I'm trying to understand is that if the center of the waste flange is 11.5 inches from the wall, and I install a 10 inch unifit adapter, the back of the toilet will now be an additional 1.5 inches from the wall, correct?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With the 12" unifit that comes with it, you should have approximately 0.25" behind your new toilet with doing nothing else. If you swap the unifit (well, it's not swap, but buy a new one and stare at the original one!), it will move the toilet two inches further into the room, or looking at it another way, you'd have 2.25" behind the toilet. If your measurement is correct, it should fit with the 'stock' unifit as the toilet has a nominal 0.75" gap between it and the wall. As mentioned earlier, you can usually fudge it forward about 1/4", so you could get the toilet with 0.5" gap at the wall with the stock 12" unifit. They say 'nominal' on the spec sheet because there is some (not much on Toto) production variations on a toilet to toilet out the door. If you can handle the potential delay, I'd dry fit it with the 12" one, and only buy the 10" one if I had to (don't think you will).

captain pat

Reaction score
Thanks for the help - you guys were right on the money.

I purchased and installed the Carolina II with the standard (included) 12" rough in Unifit adapter. Since there is a bit of adjustment, it fits perfectly with a 11.5" center of the flange to the back of the wall measurement. Just like Terry said, 1/4" from the back of the tank to the wall!

Many thanks for your help gentlemen.

Now, what is the best way to set the toilet solidly on the floor? Should I be using plaster of paris, or is there something else I should use to make a nice solid mount? Thanks again!

bathroom suite5.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the bowl has movement on the tile, and needs shimming, then shim from the back, forcing the front of the bowl to the floor.
Make sure the bolts in back are loose first, then shim, then snug the nuts down. After that, take some clear polyseamseal and caulk the bowl to the floor. With the Polyseamseal, you will be able to pull the bowl if it's ever needed.

loctite-tub-tile.jpg

Last edited:

captain pat

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Is it OK to use a silicone based caulking compound? It's made by the grout company to match the grout, and is used where walls and floors meet. Same exact color as the grout.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Silicone based?
That should be fine. Some use pure silicone, but it's a bear to pull up if it's ever needed.
We like to use clear, so it doesn't show on the white porcelain. But there are also arguments for using color matched too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks