More grohe thermostatic trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

sharding

Reaction score
We have a Grohe thermostatic valve and Kensington trim that was recently installed. We've had many problems with this project (that one still not totally resolved), and we're still trying to resolve them. One relatively minor issue, that I'm not even sure is an issue, is that the temperature control "hangs" at about the 2 o'clock position. You have to push a little harder to get it past that position to full vertical. Is this normal and intended? Could someone who has a similar setup confirm if theirs does the same thing?

A possibly related problem is that the trim has a plain white ring in place of the temperature marked ring it's supposed to have (they claim the correct piece is on order). Does this sound familiar? It's not clear to me why this blank ring would ever be shipped, but I wasn't here to see the unboxing of the parts...

I'm pushing my contractor to fix all of this stuff, but they're not being very quick about it, and I need to understand what's going on for myself....

ARGH!

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Mine has a safety stop. You have to actually press a button to get it beyond that safe temp (I don't remember the actual value, but around 105-degrees?). Yours may only have that detent, and not have a physical hard stop. Part of the setup procedure is to adjust the temperature output. The idea is that for 'normal' people, you shouldn't need it hotter than the stop. They make you physically press a button to get it hotter on mine...sounds like yours makes you push beyond that detent.

If the thing was installed upside down, the plumber may have confused hot and cold. On many of the Grohe valves, you should only use the bottom output. If used for a shower only, to make it easier, he may have flipped the valve. Some brands I'm told can install the cartridge 180-degrees out of phase, which would compensate; I dont' think the Grohe valves can work like that. So, take the trim off, look at the valve, compare it to the drawings in the installation instructions or the picture on the website. It should be fairly obvious if it is installed upside down, or if the hot and cold are reversed.

bathlady

Reaction score
I just bought a Grohe thermostatic valve. One of the salesguys at the plumbing parts store said that almost all the NEW Grohe thermostatic valves operate this way; there is a detent that you have to push harder to get past the safe temp. The old valves had a button you press to get past the safe temp.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks