Problem with Grohe Grohmix Thermo valve?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by mrvf, Nov 16, 2011.

1. mrvf

mrvf New Member

Hello, I have a Grohe Grohmix 19229 shower faucet with a ¾†thermostatic valve 34419. It was initially installed in 1996. Gradually, over the past few years the handle became harder and harder to turn. As of the other day it became loose and spins but does not change the water temperature - you can feel that there is no grab. I’ve taken it apart and cleaned the pieces with a vinegar solution. I cannot remove the cartridge – it is stuck. The shower has no leaks or drips. The pressure is fine. There was no moisture inside the wall when I took the faucet apart.

I checked that the pieces I could remove were intact – the teeth on the stop ring are intact – no threads stripped, no cracks. When I put the faucet back together the same thing happened – the handle is loose and doesn’t change the water temperature. I tightened the handle screw but it becomes loose again after a few turns.

My question is, is this a cartridge issue? Or do I just need to replace the other parts – like the plastic thermostat handle?
    Thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Don't know, but I think I'd just call Grohe and see what they think.
  3. mrvf

mrvf New Member

Thanks - I was able to figure it out, though.
    It's fixed now and working fine.
  4. santa608

santa608 New Member

I am desperate!

I have the same problem. My faucet was installed in Buenos Aires. I took it apart, and I think that the plumber when he installed it broke the green screw adjustment. and jury rigged it so that it worked for a while. How does this value work? The direction talk about adjusting the temperature with a screwdriver. but that is impossible. Ihaven 't hada proper shower in a week. Thanks
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The internal adjustment is to calibrate the temperature readout on the handle to the actual temperature...this is normally done at the factory, but should be checked by the the installer. While I don't know, my guess is that the cartridge is toast and needs to be replaced. Does Brazil have a Grohe national rep? Call them, or you might try their distributor via e-mail (may or may not be fruitful).