MIXET shower valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Landlord

Reaction score
I am a landlord, and I have MIXET single handle shower fixtures in my apartments (Cartridge # MS-5AT).
I recently replaced the cartridge in one shower about a month ago because the fixture produced only cold water. The tenant now complains that the shower again produces only cold water and that the new cartridge only worked for about 5 days.
Any ideas what to do? I can replace the cartridge again, of course, but I would like to solve the problem.
Thanks for your help.

mixet_valve_trim.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Mixet

The only way that could be a factor would be if the valve body was so badly worn that the cartridge could not seal the inlet ports, which is not likely. You probably have a different problem but we cannot diagnose it without being there. There is an online source for a Moen style cartridge that cures the common Mixet problems.

Nomix Inc. repair cartridges that fit Mixet brand valves
It is a Moen style stem to replace the Mickey Mouse one that Mixet uses.
hj

nomix_mixet.jpg

Landlord

Reaction score
MIXET cartridge

HJ, thanks for your advice.
Do you recall the URL of the site that refers to a MOEN cartridge that is supposed to cure MIXET cartridge problems?
If not, do you remember any keywords that I can search on?

glenn manos

Reaction score
I am a landlord, and I have MIXET single handle shower fixtures in my apartments (Cartridge # MS-5AT).
I recently replaced the cartridge in one shower about a month ago because the fixture produced only cold water. The tenant now complains that the shower again produces only cold water and that the new cartridge only worked for about 5 days.
Any ideas what to do? I can replace the cartridge again, of course, but I would like to solve the problem.
Thanks for your help.

go to this web site to solve your problem it is guaranteed !
www.nomix.com

Phillbo

Reaction score
Help Identify Shower Valve

Hi all,

Can you assist me in identifying this shower valve. Is it a cartridge type ? I'm replacing all the hardware in the tub/shower and hope to not have to pull it apart to identify the replacement parts.

Any help is greatly appreciated !!

shower valve 1.jpg
shower valve 2.jpg

Phillbo

Reaction score
OK.. not sure why my thread was moved into this one... Is someone trying to tell me I need a nomix cartridge too ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you wanted fast answers, this was the best way. It tells you it's a Mixet valve, and with Mixet, the best replacement is the Nomix cartridge.
You can repair with the Mixet cartridge too, but at least now you know your options.

mixit_trim_smoke.jpg

Last edited:

Phillbo

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the help... Anyway of telling buy the pics which NoMix Cartridge Model I would need to order? Also , any special tools needed to remove and install the cartridge?

I don't have a problem with the hot cold blend, it just does not shut off all the way sometimes.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Mixet has 3 basic cartridge types: NEW....post 1968, or OLD, pre 1968. There is also an extended cartridge where guts are the shorter NEW style, but the outer end is extended in case you tiled a wall or otherwise ended up short.

You can still get these, as well as the Nomix, and the handles. But Mixet was never much good, you will not be able to change the style of handles ( although some other color are around) so at some point, you need to consider changing the valve. Especially with the price of the Nomix products. If you are giving any consideration to a major bathroom remodel, this situation should influence your decision.

Phillbo

Reaction score
I want to replace the valve/handle .. are you saying I can't replace with a different brand / model ? Don't knew faucets come with a new cartridge that fits the valve?

mixit_trim_ultimate.jpg

Mixit Ultimate Trim

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Unfortunately you have a very misguided understanding of the situation. The valve body which is inside the walls...soldered to the pipes.....is a very specific brand and model. In this case, MIXET. The ONLY thing which goes with any valve are EXACTLY the brand and model that is there. THAT is why you can't do anything except REPAIR a shower valve. When it is relatively NEW, and the COMPANY is still in business, there are often options for different trim styles and colors which will work with that particular valve and stem. Since MIXET is LONG GONE, you are left with what the aftermarket companies make available to you, which is limited. Then to boot, mixet had that inherent design defect where the valve body wears, and you will have cross over and hence need the very pricey nomix stem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
From the exterior, you cannot tell the difference between the short and long stems. Once you remove the handle and chrome ring you will be able to see if there is an "adapter sleeve" between the cartridge and the valve body. IF there is, or the temperature handle only rotates 180 degrees, you have to remove a "half moon shaped" clip from the side of the valve before you try to pull the stem out. If your part number is correct, then you need the standard short stem.

Plumbstar

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use only the MS5ATC. The brass mixing head crossovers something terrible. It's hard to get only cold water thru the valve. Even in the cold position, hot water will creep thru. Get only the cartridges with the teflon head. They crossover considerably less. Spring check stops (MSPC) are still available as well, which will eliminate the crossover when the valve is off.

TBoneWiggins

Reaction score
Just found this blog....and saw that several other people are having the same issues with Mixet replacement shower cartridges. I just this weekend finally got around to finding the proper Mixet valve/cartridge after going to my local Lowes and they didn't have it...my local Do It store and they were out of 'em....drove across Santa Clarita to the local Home Depot and bought 2 replacements. Went home and fitted the two new cartridges in...no problem...But, then we find we have no hot water coming out of the showers. Neither shower has the heated water as before. We took out there cartridges....made sure they were properly installed....Red Dot up. Turned the water back on....spent 3-4 hours messing with 'em. I still dont' have the hot water I had before. I called the "head plumber" guy at Home Depot. He said my hot water line was probably clogged! Really? Sooo....I take out both cartridges....turn back on the water.....let it run for 20-30 seconds in both showers....Off the house water....Re-install the cartridges. Still no hot water. I have a friend who works for the city who I call since he's in the building and permits office to ask if he's had any run ins with this. He explained to me that with the new California environmental laws that the new replacement cartridges were not adjustable and that was a by product problem.....not having the hot water as before with the new replacement cartridges. Anyone run across this? Find this to be true? I have not called my local and trusty pro plumber company yet. This was/is a new Mixet "generic" replacement that the Home Depot head guy recommended to use. Miss

Dave pederson

Reaction score
The issue your are having with the mixet valve is most likley not the cartaige that is the problem. Its the pressure balancing spendle that cuases this problem. The spendle is either corroded and stuck or it is missing. It is located in the nut to the right of the main stem near the screwdriver shut off on the cold side. Use a stait screw driver to lossen the cap and pull it out to inspect it. It is A stainless sleave with o rings on the out side and a stainless spendle on the inside. The inside spendle must be able to move freely. If it cant it will only let cold water or hot water through. Soak it in oil or wd40 to free it up.

papalokey

Reaction score
OK, I've read this entire thread, but I don't know the exact terminology for the parts involved. I have a mix of too much cold water and cannot get it hot enough. I think the mixet was replaced with the wrong one, I have bought 2 and cannot get it hot, hot water is fine in the rest of the house. Please help me identify if I have the wrong parts. Thank you.

mixet-p1.jpg

mixet-p2.jpg

mixet-p3.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks