Minimum pipe size for a toilet vent?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by lahabra, Dec 22, 2007.

1. lahabra

lahabra New Member

According to my hand book the minimum pipe size required to vent a toilet is:

1.5â€

Or

2†as a wet vent for a sink.

Am I understanding this correct?
  2. Herk

Herk Plumber

What code are you using? UPC requires 2" for a toilet vent.
  3. lahabra

lahabra New Member

Wet vent

Ok so I need at least a 2†vent for my toilet.

Can I also drain my sink into the same 2†pipe?
  4. Herk

Herk Plumber

I still don't know what code you're using, or how you're going about it.
  5. It depends on your location

It really depends on your local in the USA

I get away with murder in INDIANA with our code....

1 1/2 pvc is big enough for the whole house to be
    vented onhere....

other parts of the country expect a full
    3 inch stack out hte roof..
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

With newer toilets that flush faster, you would want at least 2" on the vent.

In some places you can wet vent a bathroom lav over a toilet, if that line is 2" or larger.
    A kitchen sink could not be wet vented.

[​IMG]
  7. lahabra

lahabra New Member

The book I am reading is a general construction book it covers everything from grading to roofing. The book dose not tell me specifically what size vent I will need for a toilet; however, it dose have tables soused from: "UBC Illustrated training manual (Walnut, calif: International association of plumbing and mechanical Officials 1985)."

In one table I read that a private toilet counts for 4 fixture units. The next table shows 1.5" pipe being capable of venting 8 fixture units. Based on these two tables it appeared that 1.5" pipe could actually vent 2 toilets.

In the houses I have worked on I always see 2" vent pipes for toilets, add to that your reaction and the fact that I don’t want to get into a challenge with my inspector, I am definitely not going to install a 1.5†vent on my toilet.
  8. lahabra

lahabra New Member

acording to UPC 2006

Thank you for the diagram Terry!

So It is ok to use a 2" pipe as a wet vent for a toilet and a bathroom lav. Would this setup be in compliance with: "UPC 2006"?

It has been my experience that most cities in the LA basin don't make up plumbing codes; instead they simply adopt "UPC". But I will need to confirm it in my particular city.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2011
  9. construct30

construct30 New Member

I have the third edition of the code check plumbing for 2006, the little flip job books, it says the IRC does not require a vent on a water closet for residential. What's up with that?