Main water line repair advice?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Microburst, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Microburst

Microburst New Member

I have a slow leak where the main water line enters my basement wall through a rubber boot. The leak is coming from around or behind where the boot is clamped to the water pipe. The main water line is blue in color and looks to be about ¾” or 1” in size. I am guessing the best approach to fix this would be to dig around the pipe on the outside of the house, cut and remove a section of pipe that enters the house, then replace this section of pipe. My question is, what kind of pipe and fittings should I use to do this and where can I get the materials? The house was built in 2003 and is located in the Atlanta area. Thanks!
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

As a homeowner without having the specialized PEX tools your best option is probably cutting out the bad section and putting in a new replacement piece using Sharkbite Couplings. Big Orange Box has them.
  3. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

But does the big orange have the PEX¿

Might want to leave this to a plumber but I'm sure he'd appreciate you digging to the problem though!
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

Blue pipe is polybutylene, and if it breaks in one spot it will probably also crack elsewhere. PB tubing is typically replaced rather than repaired.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

When I've seen the blue pipe, it needed complete replacement between the incoming shutoff and the meter.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Polybutylene installed in 2003?:eek:
  7. Microburst

Microburst New Member

How can I tell if it is PEX or Polybutylene? Will it be marked as such?

Also, can I replace the section going through the wall with CPVC coupled to the "blue pipe" on the outside, or is this not recommended?
  8. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I missed the 2003 part.
    I doubt that it would be polybutene
    It could be PEX or Poly.

The pipe may be marked on the side as to brand and type.