Main Shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

Kaliban

Reaction score
The main line shut off valve to my house no longer closes completely (very few of the other in line valves do either - old house - How big a pita is it to fix this? I live in Northern NJ any idea what the job outta cost - i assume this is one for a pro only...

Many thanks

(reffed here from Bridge forum)

Gabe

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Replacing a main shutoff is not too hard, though a pro does have the tools and the experience to make it quicker.
It should take 1.5 to 2.0 hours in most cases.

Replacing shutoffs under lavs and toilets, if you do that also, means replacing the supply lines to them too.
Most people replace them at the time they are replacing a fixture, like a toilet or a lav faucet.

sleeve_puller_2.jpg

If the fixture shutoffs are compression, you can pick up a sleeve puller that gets the back nut off the copper pipe.
Threaded stops, it's a good idea to pick up some brass pipe nipples and thread sealant.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it is the main shut off valve at the street, that is usually called the "Corporation cock" and it is the responsibility of the utility. They usually have the wrench to turn it off.

If it is the valve in your house, then you own it. If you call a plumber, he will probably have (maybe illegally) the wrench to turn off the CC.

It is possible to replace the valve if you can get the corporation cock shut off. It sometimes involves breaking the wire seal on the water meter. You would have to get the water utility to replace the seal.

My original valve from 1965 was a globe valve and I left the body in place after cleaning out the inside parts and removing some of the seat to avoid pressure loss. The body left me with a threaded fitting that was easy to put a new valve on.

Use a full port ball valve when you replace it. If you are lucky or search hard, you may be able to get a valve that will match the existing fittings. The water meter has union ends (those wire seals again) which usually makes it pretty easy to replace a valve with one having the same end fittings.

I'm a do-it-yourselfer so I usually estimate low, but I would guess $200. You will also probably pay a good markup on the valve.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Bob brings up some good points.
On the west coast, things can be quite different.

The meter is normally at the street, and the homeowner owns everything from the meter.

I've heard that some homes others places have water meters inside the home.
I haven't had to deal with that here.

Kaliban

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the prompt response - am trying find out about water co shut off.

Gabe...

Kaliban

Reaction score
The water co has a curb cutoff - and will shut it off with a days notice. The worry I have is the big valve - its going to need major torque to take apart.

But you're pretty sure once I have it off I should be able to get a ball valve replacement at any pro plumbing supply shop?

In any case its going to be a week or so until I can get a day off to stay home to do this, but I will let you know how it went. (Pros want about $500-800 for the job...seems excessive...

Thanks again,

Gabe

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should try to find the valve before you get the water shut off. You don't want to be without water for two days while you replace the valve.

You should try to find one with the same end fittings. Sometimes they are flare ends; sometimes male/female ends; sometimes both female.

You will probably want two 18" pipe wrenches. You might get by with less. Try to borrow. Most neighbors would have only one. You can spend a lot on tools if you are saving $300, and you will have them for the next job.

If you can take a good picture and post here, you might get some more suggestions.

If your existing valve only leaks a bit, and you have lots of room, you might be able to do the job "wet" and leave the old valve in place. That would take some planning and maybe more tools. The best way is to repalace the valve with one having the same fittings.

Rdtompki

Reaction score
You can also rent large pipe wrenches (and small) at most rental yards for a few dollars a day

Finnegan

Reaction score
This is really not a big deal. Some municipalities in Northern NJ require a ball valve on each side of the meter in order to get a CO when selling a home. If you have United Water, they will shut off your main at the street very quickly. For me it was about 15 minutes, but I am right down the sreet from a facility. They told me to call right before I needed it off. They will give you free meter stems as well. If you are going to replace one valve, you might as well replace both valves or add a valve on the other side of the meter if you do not have one on both sides already. The cost of materials should be under $20. Depending what you have to start with, it should take someone who knows what they are doing between 30 mins to 2 hours. Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks