loose tub spout

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by suzyfitz, Sep 25, 2004.

1. suzyfitz

suzyfitz New Member

Sep 25, 2004
    I'm new here. I'm reinstalling a Kohler tub spout that slips onto the copper pipe and has a hex screw to tighten. When I removed it I scored the pipe, making a pretty deep groove by twisting the faucet trying to get it off. Also, when it came off the white washer and black o-ring came off. Have I broken it? Water leaks at the wall. Any suggestions on how to make it water tight?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    If you don't have the rubber seal, you may want to get a new "slip spout"

It may seal with the new o-ring, if not maybe some silicone will help with the seal. :)
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

If you scored the tubing in the area where the "O" ring seals then you probably have ruined it and will need a screw on spout with a threaded adapter soldered to the tubing.
  5. LonnythePlumber

LonnythePlumber Plumber, Contractor, Attorney

Sep 6, 2004
    Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
    Wichita, Kansas
    File and Sand

You can file out scratches if you haven't indented the pipe. You should be able to reassemble the o ring and white insert.