loose tub spout

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by suzyfitz, Sep 25, 2004.

1. suzyfitz

suzyfitz New Member

I'm new here. I'm reinstalling a Kohler tub spout that slips onto the copper pipe and has a hex screw to tighten. When I removed it I scored the pipe, making a pretty deep groove by twisting the faucet trying to get it off. Also, when it came off the white washer and black o-ring came off. Have I broken it? Water leaks at the wall. Any suggestions on how to make it water tight?
    :confused:
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you don't have the rubber seal, you may want to get a new "slip spout"

It may seal with the new o-ring, if not maybe some silicone will help with the seal. :)
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

spout

If you scored the tubing in the area where the "O" ring seals then you probably have ruined it and will need a screw on spout with a threaded adapter soldered to the tubing.
  4. LonnythePlumber

LonnythePlumber Plumber, Contractor, Attorney

File and Sand

You can file out scratches if you haven't indented the pipe. You should be able to reassemble the o ring and white insert.