Seeking advice on shower/tub rough plumbing using Delta valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Lizzybizz

Reaction score
I’m very much an amateur when it comes to plumbing, and I will be using a contractor to do the actual work, but I‘m trying to design a custom shower/tub system with a shower head, handheld shower, and tub spout using the Delta universal valves and am hoping for some advice. I don’t want to run my tub spout through the 22000 integrated diverter valve, as my contractor suggested, because I read that the water pressure is greatly reduced and my tub is quite large.
I had planned to use a 10000 UNWS valve with the tub spout running from the bottom and a 11000 diverter valve running from the top for my shower components, but he strongly advised me against using a tub spout with an integrated diverter as would be required with that plan because they tend to fail, especially with the hard water we have here.
I came up with a new plan to have a tub spout without diverter on its own 10000WS valve, and then the shower system running on a 22000 integrated diverter valve above it, but as I haven’t seen this done before I’m wondering if there are issues with it that I don’t see? I’m attaching a sketch of what I was thinking. Hopefully it makes sense what I am trying to accomplish and I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 6F6BEDFA-E4C6-48A9-B5C6-FF5E8D73E52C.jpeg
    6F6BEDFA-E4C6-48A9-B5C6-FF5E8D73E52C.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 108

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe Breplum knows? Will that Delta flow worth a darn for a bath tub? Im a bit skeptical All those standard valves suck from what I see maybe there is a better cartridge Just Check it out good or youll be stuck with something you dont like? No matter what they say I suggest you test it out during rough in Dont be disapointed later you seem particular in your wants lets see you like what you get !
Basic drawing looks good but I cant say how much flow youll get from those valves. none seem to flow like an old 2 handle price pfister does

Lizzybizz

Reaction score
Hi, Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate you articulating that it is the flow, not the water pressure, that I am concerned with. And the chart is very helpful. I’m not sure what my water pressure is, but if I assume it’s 60 PSI, the max flow using the tub spout on the 10000UNWS is 5.9 GPM versus a max of 4.8 GPM if I run the tub on the integrated diverter. Not as much of a difference as I had imagined. I do find it interesting that if I upgrade to one of their fancier Thermostatic cartridges, I can bump that up to 7.1 GPM. But then I just checked the product specs on the Delta non-diverter tub spout that I was planning to use and it’s capped at 6 GPM anyways. My tub holds 68 gallons. I appreciate you helping to clarify my thinking on this! And also the advice on getting the valves with stops even though they do reduce flow a bit. That is what I had purchased so it’s reassuring to hear.

Lizzybizz

Reaction score
Maybe Breplum knows? Will that Delta flow worth a darn for a bath tub? Im a bit skeptical All those standard valves suck from what I see maybe there is a better cartridge Just Check it out good or youll be stuck with something you dont like? No matter what they say I suggest you test it out during rough in Dont be disapointed later you seem particular in your wants lets see you like what you get !
Basic drawing looks good but I cant say how much flow youll get from those valves. none seem to flow like an old 2 handle price pfister does
I appreciate your thoughts on this! My contractor said he really likes working with the Delta products so that’s what I went with. But is been a little frustrating to figure out how to achieve what I want and you are correct that I’m a bit particular I’d be open to using something else for the tub valve but I do worry about the aesthetics of matching the trim. I went with their champagne bronze finish which isn’t the easiest to match. Now that I’m able to calculate the flow rates thanks to the chart provided by Breplum, I can at least think about this all more concretely.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The size of the tub is really the starting point on determining how to fill it. Water pressure and the type of shower cartridge you plan on using in the delta line will determine how many GPM you get.. 7gpm using the T17 series valves on 60psi.

Say if your tub holds 60gal of water 7gpm will take 8-1/2 min to fill. 12gpm will take 5min to fill..

Lizzybizz

Reaction score
The size of the tub is really the starting point on determining how to fill it. Water pressure and the type of shower cartridge you plan on using in the delta line will determine how many GPM you get.. 7gpm using the T17 series valves on 60psi.

Say if your tub holds 60gal of water 7gpm will take 8-1/2 min to fill. 12gpm will take 5min to fill..
Thank you so much! My previous replies haven’t posted yet because they are pending moderator approval (I assume because I’m new). But yes, now that I understand how to look up the maximum flow rates, I can definitely analyze the options more concretely. The flow numbers are unfortunately a bit disappointing for both of the options I was considering. You guys have given me a lot to think about and I appreciate it!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

Maybe you know if all those delta valves fill about the same . with 10000 series rough? Just asking Id expect kinda slow but I rarely measure gpm . sorta seat of pants judging!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe you know if all those delta valves fill about the same . with 10000 series rough? Just asking Id expect kinda slow but I rarely measure gpm . sorta seat of pants judging!
Breplum posted the charts for the Delta flow rates.

I had a 1/2" Hansgrohe valve installed on a big walk in tub. Took 15 min to fill. We swapped it for a 3/4" valve which took 5min.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Happens all the time disappointing tub fill times , poor choice of valve and or pipe sizing

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks