Looking to redo the plumbing under my kitchen sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jechow, Oct 23, 2012.

1. jechow

jechow New Member

I am looking to finally start a project that I have been procrastinating with. I am looking for some assistance to determine how best to redo the plumbing under my kitchen sink. I have been advised to cut the pipe after the p-trap but I don't know how to begin to rebuild the piping given that I would like to add a clean out.

My brain does not understand how to cut the pipe between the 45 elbow and p-trap and then what do I do. I guess I am too much of a newbie. I don't think I would have much trouble if I could cut between the wall and the 45 elbow. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you are adding a cleanout, you can replace the 45 with a wye fitting, and stuff a cleanout fitting facing outwards.

By the way, the santee in this photo is upside down.
  3. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

While you're at it, you should replace that section of exposed NM cable with a proper conduit, and also that nail-on
    plastic box. That kind of stuff was never meant to be installed in exposed locations.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

we would just cut between the 45 and the wall and then start putting the necessary pieces together.