Basement bathroom reno, sink tie-in to show drain

Users who are viewing this thread

naimc

Reaction score
I am about to cut a channel in my concrete basement floor to passe this sink drain 1 1/2 ABS drain pipe and wanted to know if my line / routing "violates" a lot of plumbing rules.

-Prior to my work, the plumbing looked like this, A shower with NO P-trap ! and the sink was tied in with 1-1/2 to 2" Y.
HHrJ32Ah.png

I am making the washroom smaller and relocating the single sink just beside the shower, Also bringing in a vent pipe for the sink as the previous built had no venting just a "snorkel" that allowed air under the sink.
In the new layout I moved the shower drain to relocation required by acrylic shower base, section is in 2" ABS pipe.

On the new sink line I put a clean out that will be accessible from under the sink, why not !

GXpm4O8h.png

My question pertains to they way I a going to tie in my 1-1/2 ABS drain to the 2" ABS shower drain. I have two 45 degree 1-1/2 joints followed by a 1-1/2" to 2" junction does this look ok or should I consider another joint ?

tlvhrqRh.png

naimc

Reaction score
Your wet vent section under the slab and up to the lav drain should be 2".
Ok and I guess your calling for 2" because this line would be drain for the sink but and vent for the shower ?
Also I started to cut the trench for the 1-1/2 line , but if I put a 2" in its place how should I connect both 2" lines as they now run in parallel.
Just 2 2"x 45 degree elbows ?

Yc1Bwcyh.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well its late now but I think you could have eliminated the offset very easily after all the trap does adjust.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wasn t citing code I just think 1 1/2 on underground should be avoided except a tub trap arm . even just a lav I wouldnt run 1 1/2 . i guess the chipping be a little easier. might save a dollar and half or so on parts

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
That varies by code in the US (IPC allows a 1-1/2"horizontal wet vent to carry 1 DFU), so it's unclear what the Canadian plumbing code would say on the matter.

Cheers, Wayne
Pretty standard practice to run 2"pipe under a slab. Even if Canadian code technically allowed such a thing, most plumbers wouldn't run 1.5" pipe under concrete.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep Cant say I wouldnt ever do it , but Some of our advice is bare minimum meet code sometimes its our opinion for a proper long running trouble free job . I think 2 inch is better, you can get a 3/8 cable down it and it wont plug up as easy . Im not really a drain cleanner but thats where I stand on supporting a 2 inch line

naimc

Reaction score
I asked for advisee so I followed it ! switched to 2"
I would have taken a pro 10 min to cut and glue it took me 3 hours, measured adjusted created test shims , remeasured broke the slab a bit more so I had room to press fit everything, made alignment marks.

IidWjy8h.png

Here is my slope :

6TJtrRPh.png

Thank you again for the guidance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks