Limit on number of turns in a vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sluggo

Reaction score
I'm running a 2" vent for a new shower and sink. It's taken three 90 degree bends (all are more than 6" above the flood elevation of the sink) to get to where I need to go up through the roof. However, I encountered another obstruction and need to offset one more time. I can do this either with two more 90's or with two 45's. I've seen conflicting info on the web about turns in venting with some places saying that you are limited to the equivalent of four 90's and others saying there is no such limit. I'm in the Seattle area. Advice please?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have already upsized the vent from 1.5" to 2.0"
Even so, in Seattle you can have all the bends you want on the vent. You're fine :)

Just for laughs though, I had a Seattle inspector that wanted to turn me down for using a 2" vent in a situation like that. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard his explanation. He was worried that about somebody in the future being confused. I asked, "Confused about what?"
I called the head inspector and he was as confused as I was as to why making a vent bigger than needed could ever be a problem. Nope, I'm not making that one up.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; He was worried that about somebody in the future being confused.

HE must have been one of those who got fired from Home Depot because he did not meet their minimum standards., so he became an inspector.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks