Leaking garbage disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

Leaky Pipes

Reaction score
My garbage disposal is leaking from the bottom. It leaks whether or not it's turned on. When water is going through it, it leaks. I uploaded a picture with the 3 areas that leak.

Nothing seems loose so I don't know what it might be.

An ideas?

Thank you
garbage disposal.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Replace it...it's way past time. The ISE evolution series is nice, quiet, and powerful. I can't think of another reason why it might leak.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many disposers are only good for eight years. They don't last forever. It's time for a new one! :)
Sometimes I go out to a kitchen clog, and the p-trap and baffle tee are packed with long potato peels. A good new disposer chips it all into tiny bits that easily float down the drain. Not so much when the disposer gets dull.

Last edited:

Leaky Pipes

Reaction score
Looks like it's a trip with my credit card down to Lowes.

This one lasted 16 years so it sounds like I'm way ahead of the game.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Quote: "It's why men buy razor blades in five packs."

Terry, I thought the reason why men buy them in 5-pack was because they were cheaper like this...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Quote: "It's why men buy razor blades in five packs."

Terry, I thought the reason why men buy them in 5-pack was because they were cheaper like this...

Good point. And I would be totally okay installing four more disposer in that home. We could put them in the bathrooms too.

But really, one razor will last you how long? I guess you could make a second trip to the store if your razor actually becomes dull scraping hair off your face.

badger-with-rust-1.jpg

This one's getting close to being replaced. I don't know, maybe it needs replacing.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Good point. And I would be totally okay installing four more disposer in that home. We could put them in the bathrooms too.
Ah, yes. Seinfeld episode - S09E09 - The Apology - Kramer installs a garbage disposal in his shower

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I agree with comment in 2nd post about looking at Incinerator disposals -- the Evolution series. I got tired of having to plunge my kitchen sink every time we put more than 2 potatoes worth of peels down the old disposal so got an Evolution Excel, the top of the line. Has done great, and have not had a clog since. It really will take anything you can put down it -- chicken bones, fruit pits, corn cobs, you name it. (Has 3-stage grinding so it only releases pretty fine particles downstream.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks