sudden rumbling and hissing sounds periodically from the kitchen drain with odor, now water is coming up into the sink from the drain

Users who are viewing this thread

thebetty

Reaction score
I have been dealing with this since I moved in. I am on the 4th floor an apartment building with 14 floors. The rumbling happens when I am not using the sink and there is a horrible stench. I could hear it from another room. I thought it was when the apartment above me used their garbage disposal. I put in a maintenance request, but I was treated as if it was a figment of my imagination. They even went upstairs and turned on the disposal and I heard a low hum (for the first time). They did nothing. I ran hot water and gave it the vinegar and baking soda down the drain every time it happened to battle the smell, which helped some. Then suddenly a briefer rumbling resulted in my sink filling up with water from the drain. It drained back down almost immediately. It took a long-term tenant who worked with them to ask about my new service request for the maintenance "supervisor" to come to my door. He told me it was too much suds from upstairs, and "I can't tell him not to use soap (yes, it was soapy water that came up) and there was nothing he could do. I complained to the assistant manager, who also gave me the runaround, so I called the regional manager who had a plumber come. I had to tell him what was happening. He drained a partial grease clog from further up the line. He gave me reasons why the rumbling could be happening (one was loose/not strapped down pipes in the wall.), and he thought the service he did would solve the problem. There was only a hissing and airy sound from the drain the next time. Unfortunately, today there was a little rumbling and some water came up from the drain (not much, but I saw it).
I thought it might be a faulty garbage disposal, although the maintenance guy said they had "just installed a new one." What do you think?
Thank you for any advice you can give.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have been dealing with this since I moved in. I am on the 4th floor an apartment building with 14 floors. The rumbling happens when I am not using the sink and there is a horrible stench. I could hear it from another room. I thought it was when the apartment above me used their garbage disposal. I put in a maintenance request, but I was treated as if it was a figment of my imagination. They even went upstairs and turned on the disposal and I heard a low hum (for the first time). They did nothing. I ran hot water and gave it the vinegar and baking soda down the drain every time it happened to battle the smell, which helped some. Then suddenly a briefer rumbling resulted in my sink filling up with water from the drain. It drained back down almost immediately. It took a long-term tenant who worked with them to ask about my new service request for the maintenance "supervisor" to come to my door. He told me it was too much suds from upstairs, and "I can't tell him not to use soap (yes, it was soapy water that came up) and there was nothing he could do. I complained to the assistant manager, who also gave me the runaround, so I called the regional manager who had a plumber come. I had to tell him what was happening. He drained a partial grease clog from further up the line. He gave me reasons why the rumbling could be happening (one was loose/not strapped down pipes in the wall.), and he thought the service he did would solve the problem. There was only a hissing and airy sound from the drain the next time. Unfortunately, today there was a little rumbling and some water came up from the drain (not much, but I saw it).
I thought it might be a faulty garbage disposal, although the maintenance guy said they had "just installed a new one." What do you think?
Thank you for any advice you can give.

go under your sink and install something like this. What you're describing sounds like a venting issue. You have no control over the entire apartment building. But adding some air may solve the situation for you.
1713655912869.png

Attachments

• 1713655786320.png
    1713655786320.png
    255 bytes · Views: 12

thebetty

Reaction score
go under your sink and install something like this. What you're describing sounds like a venting issue. You have no control over the entire apartment building. But adding some air may solve the situation for you.
View attachment 98528
I am a senior who lives in a community of low-income seniors. I have been told that even changing batteries in the fire alarm must be handled by maintenance. I fear that even if I was able to do the installation, I would be violating my lease agreement. I did do some research though, Ty for your response. Here is a picture of what is under my sink for reference.
View attachment 98528

View attachment 98528
thumbnail
I attempted to past the picture I took of the pipe under my sink, but I could not upload it because, as the message said, it is too large a file to upload. I hope you can see it for reference.
I am a senior in a subsidized senior community. I have been told that even changing the batteries in my fire alarm must be handled by maintenance. I fear that any installation I would do, even if I was capable, would be a violation of the lease. Ty for responding to my post. I did some research. Any input helps.

GL77

Reaction score
Show the maintenance guy the picture of the air admittance valve and ask if he would install it for you.

Reach4

Reaction score
View attachment 98528
That pictured device would be a crown vent.

The Rectorseal magic trap is similar without the crown vent thing.

Reach4

Reaction score
so I called the regional manager who had a plumber come. I had to tell him what was happening. He drained a partial grease clog from further up the line.
I think a partial clog DOWN the line is probably the cause.

I don't think the problem is either disposal. I am not a plumber.

For your photo to be attached, maximim size is 900 pixels either way, and 200 kBytes size. Somebody might help you shrink one of your photos, or post on a different site, and put a link to the picture here.

Try putting the stopper into the sink, and adding a little water when not using the sink. Also, after running a lot of water, follow up with maybe a cup, or so, worth of slow water. If your trap siphons out for some reason, the slow water can refill the trap. Slow does not have to be really slow, but just not fast.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks