Leaking Fridge Freezer

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by johnfrwhipple, Aug 30, 2012.

1. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD for both Canada & the US

Design Work World Wide: Bathrooms Vancouver Area

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  2. johnfrwhipple

Another Kitchen Aid Leaks Again - This time it's R.B.'s piece of shit fridge

3. Svendsen1

Svendsen1 New Member

I think mine was about 5 or 6 months after the warranty ended as well. It appears to be functioning correctly though now after I fixed it- however I know it will happen again in the next year or year and a half unless I get the p-trap to replace the rubber fish eye drain in the back .

4. johnfrwhipple

Leaking Fridge Freezer - The ultimate worst fridge is made by.

5. johnfrwhipple

Terry Love's busiest discussions

6. jacobsond

jacobsond DIY Junior Member

Now there is a guy that did what I have been trying to get across. The replacement p-trap fix does work. No drain under the fridge needed. No need to remove the sheet of ice of the bottom of the freezer. It is a poor design. The problem is not limited to Kitchen Aid The repair has been out for almost a year now. Before the P-trap fix most of us repair guys just snipped a little V on the rubber piece so it would not seal up again.There was more air infiltration in to the freezer and it might have frosted the coil a little more,but the defrost drain would not plug again.

7. johnfrwhipple

How to fix your leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge - once and for all

OK. This discussion has been going on for a long time. Two plus years to be exact. My Kitchen Aid fridge model number S25EVMS3 should be today. Fixed once and for all. After years of complaining - years of blooging about my crappy fridge someone from Kitchen Aid called me back.

Not because of this discussion here mind you - but rather I think because of my blasting them on their Face Book profiles (Kitchen-Aid Canada & Kitchen Aid America). I got someone there to ask for my email and contact info and then they called and I called back.

So Friday I phone in the morning my time 10:00AM PST. It took 10 minutes to get through and have the girl on the other line (Dawn) read the "Case File". Then I was placed on hold for four minutes - Dawn came back and said hold a little longer and another six minutes went by. Then she tells me that Kitchen Aid is going to fix my fridge! On their dime, not mine.

THAT IS ****ing Awesome. I asked how, and with what.... Dawn seems to not want to tell me but I insist no one is coming to my house unless I know what part number they are putting in my fridge. Turns out that there is a new part from Kitchen Aid for this issue. Not an original part but an entirely new part.... So again Dawn did not want to share this info but I pried it out of her and the "wait for it" ......... "Dramatic Pause"

This replaces part numbers W10309238, W10210988, W10344402, W10210987, W10585186, W10588598.

And should fix a lot of leaking Kitchen Aid Fridges.

I was told the repair man would come today. This part I love. Some time between 8:00 AM and 4:00PM. I was also told that the repair man would give me one hour notice. So I'm guessing at 7:00 AM if I do not hear from him 8:00 AM is out the window since no one called Sunday, or Saturday or even Friday.

So my fridge that continues to cost me money will now cost me possible an entire's day pay if the fellow shows up at 4:00. And maybe more if he no shows....

I'm up and ready. Freezer is emptied. Cell phone charge. Wait Wait Wait....

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  8. johnfrwhipple

Hanging Around - Waiting For Service

9. johnfrwhipple

Leaking Fridge Repair Man Home Check List

10. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Rocket Scientist

Defrost and clean the fridge ?

Is it working yet ?

Good Luck.

11. johnfrwhipple

Repair Man comes with no Part

12. jacobsond

Who do you have trying to fix your fridge? There is a fix and it works well. I think you have a poor service company not a bad fridge. We got the service bulletin a long time ago. We are an authorized service center your guy should have got the same. You can blame the manufacture for the initial poor design but not for the poor service.Blame that on your repair man.The shop is hopefully an authorized service center. I hope its not Sears if it is that explains the problem.

13. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Rocket Scientist

When I worked at Sears and MW authorized service centers the service bulletins were available to the technicians, But they need to read them. And a good manager would make you sign off that you read them.

I would be pissed also, after all of the BS and promises.

At this point, I would buy my wife a new fridge of her choice and be done with it.

Make the old one a Beer cooler with a tap on the front, then the ice will not build up from opening the door.

Good Luck John.

14. johnfrwhipple

Service Repair Men

15. johnfrwhipple

Whirlpool drops the ball

16. jacobsond

The company can put out tech bulletins but if the service company does not read them what good are they.The 1st time I saw this problem my 1st reaction was what the heck is this stupid thing. Where is the p-trap? I determined that the rubber they were using seemed like it was turning to a sticky jelly and was never gong to work. I snipped a V into that "duckbill" so there was no chance it would stick together. At that time the fix was a different "duckbill" that was a little longer. Not going to work I thought so I just kept snipping a V in those things. Never a callback on my repair for that problem. Later the bulletin came out with the p-trap fix.Most of the bulletins we get are kind of BS with production changes and so forth so you have to be vigilant and identify the ones that matter. In our shop I read the bulletins and tell the other guys. I am not near as busy because I am the shop guy and part of my duties is to keep up with that stuff.

17. johnfrwhipple

Jacobsond - you sir sound like a true pro.

18. johnfrwhipple

A miracle has happened today.

19. jacobsond

The old part had a rubber nipple they called a duckbill. The small slit in the duckbill took the place of the p-trap letting water out but not air in. The slit in the duckbill is what stuck together causing a clog.With the kit you remove the duckbill and put in a hose with a p-trap. Just like in plumbing water can go out and no air can get back in. That design has worked for plumbing for yrs and on the refrigerators for years also. Some bright engineer thought up that duckbill thing.I hope he does better at his new job because he sure blew this one.

20. johnfrwhipple