Ice maker line behind trim?

Users who are viewing this thread

wild cat mccane

Reaction score
Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster from Utah. I have a question that I believe the internet has simply never answered with a yes or no...ever. Here it is:
"Can ice maker line be concealed by trim and meet code?" (Utah specific, or general is great).

We added an addition to our house, a 8'X14' butler pantry onto the exterior kitchen wall. We're planning on the fridge moving into the area, straight back from current location. I am about to take over the permit as the homeowner finishing all work from the framing contractor. 100% now and into history, the ice maker is the only plumbing in the new room.

I want to stay copper and I'm fine with 1/4". I see no reason to do it otherwise in my case. I already own a PEX crimper and agree the bends would be infinitely easier with PEX. However, I'm good with copper. The bending I plan will be nice and gentle and happy to buy a pipe bender if I fail by hand

Because of the location of the new room wall, the line could easily run where it is now with a bend straight into the new room, with the bend in the wall, and then straight into the new room at where the floor and wall meet. I do not want to put it in the 2x6 exterior wall no matter the protection from my R-24 fiber insulation.

I think the new crawlspace below is not an option because it is currently vented and Utah gets cold. Additionally, because it's a transition from basement foundation to a new crawlspace foundation, there would be boring the basement header (which I am fine doing), but it all seems less the easiest route. Even if there were protection on the line that would be sufficient, I still don't think the crawlspace is the build for me.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks