Laundry washer drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Barry Goddard

Reaction score
I just purchased an old house. At the drain pipe for the washer someone added about two feet of PVC pipe. Any idea as to why someone would add this extension?

20150101_120156.jpg

Do I need to keep it?

The standpipe needs to be at least 18" of 2" pipe.
There should be a p-trap, and a vent for the p-trap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I just purchased an old house. At the drain pipe for the washer someone added about two feet of pvc pipe. Any idea as to why someone would add this extension?
To keep water from squirting out of the top of the standpipe. While there are other requirements, a washer standpipe should be at least 18 inches long.
Do I need to keep it?
You should make modifications to make this system better. Your standpipe should have a trap to keep sewer gas from coming out of the standpipe.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/minimum-height-for-laundry-standpipe.39576/
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....hine-through-2-inch-drain-no-vent-okay.53672/

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Wow

I would think 18" is not that much. I think in Canada we require closer to 30" of drop. And then the PTrap.

My old washing machine was dumping into the laundry sink. Now all the new homes have to have a washing machine box with water hammers.

Looks like this.

WMuZm.jpg

In Canada I read that the hose needs to be 32" off the floor and the pipe above a 2" Ptrap needs to be 24"-36"

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The last Washing Machine closet I renovated I designed a back up drain and used one of my ACO shower drains.

I had my tile man make a baby dam out of some tile edging. Looks really slick

Grading the floor like shown allows the use of a smaller drain and prevents rocking of the washer and dryer.​

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks