Kinetico softener head rebuild with pics

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianG

Reaction score
I think I might have figured it out? Could these two yellow post be what they call "check stems"? that are located on the lower valve section? If so the problem is solved....

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
They have replaced check balls. If they are not in place, the unit will not draw brine. If you look at the main base, you will see where they sit.

OKRoger

Reaction score
I have a kinetico thats 15 yrs old and guess what? The control valve went out and the dealer here said its obsolete i need a new system at the cost of 3600. He said kinetico don't make the parts for the model 120. Kinetico says they still have parts but will not sell them to me. Well if i don't find the parts the old kinetico is being replace by another brand. The biggest shame i have ran into in a while. Any suggestions?

Chevy427

Reaction score
I took head apart on my Kinetico because it wasn't cycling...wanting to clean it up...i found small yellow post just laying inside ...i haven't noticed these post in any pictures ...they have tiny little gears attached to them...

Those are not axles or anything broken that is going to cost you anything, need to buy an entire vale or going for broke. They are brine flow stops and they need to be simply replaced in their holes near the edge of the level when reassembling the lowest level. New models use small balls. I actually like to posts better than the balls. The 'gears' are more like splines.

It is all quite easy to do; let me know if you need proper advice.

Chevy427

Reaction score
I have a kinetico thats 15 yrs old and guess what? The control valve went out and the dealer here said its obsolete i need a new system at the cost of 3600. He said kinetico don't make the parts for the model 120. Kinetico says they still have parts but will not sell them to me. Well if i don't find the parts the old kinetico is being replace by another brand. The biggest shame i have ran into in a while. Any suggestions?

Technically speaking, Kinetico doesn't make some parts for the obsolete 120. For example: Levels 2 and 3 were molded together and worked as long as the flow channels stayed separate. But after 30 years of service or so, some water slippage occurs and the stages don't run as they should. SOLUTION: order a newer separate levels 2 and 3 and reassemble. Also, there were bladders in the tanks that pressurized during regeneration. These are no longer available, either. These can be rebuilt (adapted) without the bladders with a little 'garage engineering'. There are a couple of other updatable parts but almost any Kinetico of any age can be put back into service---even the ancient 'blue' models.

Dano1001

Reaction score
wonder Quad Flow kinetico system doesnt use any salt????

I have been reading the posts here trying to figure out my next step in troubleshooting. I isntalled the Quad Flow kinetico system myself, bought it from a neighbor for $50. He claimed it worked fine for him, but he didnt feel the salt in the water was healthy for him. I think there is twice the salt in a can of pop, than a 16 oz glass of water. Anyway, my sytem regenerates manually just fine, but doesnt seem to cycle on its own, doesnt draw any brine either. the unit was dropped prior to install, didnt seem to hurt anything, but it did disturb some of the black pellet media. I am wondering if the "AXLES" or "BALLS" got jarred out of place, or if the media has clogged the head. I guess my next step is to disassemble the head and check it out. I called kinetico, they wanted the serial number and than they wouldnt return my calls. I guess they dont like to service the units that they dont originally sell. Any thoughts/advice?

this is a great instructional video, I will accomplish this weekend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul4JZyqvsyo

Last edited:

Chevy427

Reaction score
Did this softener come with a Kinetico by-pass that you are using? Are the bottom tanks larger or the same size as the top tanks? When you say you called 'kinetico', did you mean a local dealer or the manufacturer? Make sure the drain line is unobstructed and not pinched.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dano1001

Reaction score
Quadra-flo problem

I called the Kinetico service center, which was identified on the sticker on the tank (placerville Ca), they asked for the serial number, then they had a service man call me, but he never returned the call after I gave him the serial number, I even called him back twice and texted him.

The bottom tanks are the same circumference but they are a bit taller than the top tanks.

I dont know about a "by-pass" I think what I have is complete, from looking at the manual

I will check the drain line, but like I said when I manually purge the system it works fine, as per instruction.

When I was carrying the unit from the back of my truck, it came apart and half of the unit fell onto my dirt driveway. It didnt hit that hard, and nothing was visabbly broken, except I noticed a small amount of the black media came out of the orifice.

I am thinking that this has obstructed the head. After I manually purged the unit, the water in the house was very salty for about half a day, then nothing.

Once again thanks to everyone for thier advice/input. I am thinking that I am glad that Kinetico decided to ignore my plead for help, I think I can easiliy fix it myself...no to find the time

Merry Christmas

Chevy427

Reaction score
When you say it came apart, did you mean the top tank separated from the bottom tank of the right tanks came apart from the left tanks. Always disconnected the sets of tanks from each other when transporting. If the joint between the upper tank and lower tank came apart, that might be damaged. The internal valve parts would not have been dislodged by dropping it as you said.

There is no upper distributor in the upper tanks so media can be spilled out when inverted. That unit comes with two different media: carbon and Macrolite. Carbon is black and flakey, Macrolite is a dark grey with a fine sand-like texture. I think you have carbon. I would replace the carbon.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I called the Kinetico service center, which was identified on the sticker on the tank (placerville Ca), they asked for the serial number, then they had a service man call me, but he never returned the call after I gave him the serial number, I even called him back twice and texted him.
I would call the factory and complain. This is one of the reasons I don't speak highly of Kinetico. It's BS for them to do that.

Dano1001

Reaction score
the tanks never came apart top from bottom, they just seperated at the o-ring connection.

How can I replace the carbon? where can I buy it ?
Thanks again for the great advice, Merry Christmas

Dano1001

Reaction score
I am guessing that Kinetico does this to owners that dont purchase directly from them. Its too bad, they could have made a few hundred dollars from me, but now I am committed to repairing the unit myself. I will contact thier headquarters office

Phone:1-800-944-WATER (9283)
Fax: 1-440-564-9541
Email: custserv@kinetico.com
Mailing Address:
10845 Kinsman Road
Newbury, Ohio 44065
USA

Dano1001

Reaction score
completely tore apart the control head, found two pieces of debris, one plastic chunk partially blocking an orifice, and one chunk of scale like material. I am not very confident that this caused anything. I slapped it back together , leak checked good, and I will test the water tomorrow. Maybe I have the plumbing routed wrong (black pvc tubung), I dont know. I will look at the float assy and hoses next. I have more pictures of everything I tore apart if anyone is interested IMG_20111222_200858.jpgIMG_20111222_200911.jpgIMG_20111222_201250.jpg

Chevy427

Reaction score
More pictures would be nice, The 'plastic' piece, was it a foreign piece or something that came apart in the valve, which would be quite rare. Could you take a picture of that, too? Outside of the seals, there are only three small pieces that come apart when disassembling it.

Resin beads cannot get into the head of that unit even if it was operating upside down. Something like the riser tube would have to be broken for that to happen. Understanding the equipment helps in troubling shooting.

dd1001

Reaction score
Cant find my balls! I disassembled Kinetico head assy it doesnt have small blue balls

I have the exact same dual tank kinetico unit as pictured, it does not work, disassembled the head, didnt find any of the check balls, dont know where they would go, dont know how to get them if I need them, can someone assist me? 916-316-7159 thanks

:D Back in action! :D

Thanks for your help guys!
I had a nice soft water shower this morning reminding me of what I had been missing...
I guess the white balls where from a different machine.

Gary,
You really wont need an exploded view to rebuild one of these valve heads, they are very simply and elegantly designed. Other than the 7 piston style valves (moved by water pressure) and the gears in the top the only moving parts are the 2 blue balls and a small rocker arm that you can see in one of the pictures above.
Quite simple really, just got to pay attention to the blue balls! :rolleyes:

Thanks again all for your help!

Finest regards,
Jon

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The check balls are located between the level 5 and the main base. There are 2 towers in the main base that the check balls sit on. On the level 5, it houses the check ball seals. In later models, the check balls were replace with what looks to as a very small lawn dart.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks