Jet pump problem

Users who are viewing this thread

MStewart

Reaction score
Replace a Burk 10HNA 1HP with a Sta-Rite SLE 1HP. Didn't change ejector/jet since that had been work on a few years ago. Works fine till I use large volume of water (toilet flush and washer). The pump cuts in at 30 psi and I will lose all pressure. The pump doesn't lose prime just pressure. The water tank was set at 28 psi and seems fine. The pump sits sometimes for months and maintains it pressure (cottage). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

MStewart

Reaction score
I hope I'm answering this correctly. I have 2 lines that run to pump. Not sure what was done underground but it cost $1100.00.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
A picture would sure help.

My guess is it's a deep well jet installed it without a regulator.

MStewart

Reaction score
Yes it's a deep well jet pump and I don't have a regulator. The well depth is 121'. In order to regain pressure I have to shut off pump, close water valve to house and start pump again. I don't need to prime. Thanks

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just closing the valve to the house will probably cause it to start building pressure again. As a short term you can partially close the ball valve to throttle flow and it will function(poorly)

The Burks pump was a deep well jet pump it had a regulator built in, its what the bolt sticking out the top was for. Your new pump is a convertible jet, they can be set as up as either a shallow well jet or a deep well jet. You need to add the regulator separately.

Everything is dependent on the actual water level, if the water level is up high it doesn't take much pressure to force water through the jet and it can do fine without a regulator. The further down the water is the more back pressure the pump needs to force water down through the jet. Without a regulator if you draw more water than the pump can produce it drops the pressure to zero leaving no pressure for the jet. A regulator throttles the water to the house maintaining sufficient back pressure for the jet to operate.

MStewart

Reaction score
Can I purchase a regulator at a plumbing place or do I need one from Sta-Rite? How do you know how to adjust it? Thank you for your advise.

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be StaRite. I've never used thiers but it looks to be one of the better designs. I use Flint&Wallings or Goulds. The Goulds design isn't as good but they are far less bulky. Overall it doesn't much matter no one's fine tuning deep well jets anymore, good enough is all you need.

Your switch line goes to the pump housing right now you'll need to reroute it to after the regulator.

I don't know enough about your well to tell you what I'd set the regulator at. Start at about 30 pounds and play with it as needed.

MStewart

Reaction score
The manual is for my pump. I've done the priming more times than I'd like to remember. I'm sure I need the regulator. I'll pick up a regulator and give it a try. I really appreciate all the advice. I've had this problem for a while and I'm getting tired of crawling in my crawl space. Thanks

MStewart

Reaction score
I went to get a Sta-Rite regulator from a local dealer. He claimed that he didn't want me to waste my money. I needed a 2 stage pump (+1000.00).
I called the company that did my well and he went to my cottage and said I needed a 2 stage also ( haven't received price yet for a Gould pump). He claimed my well should be fine. My old Burk pump was a single stage and worked great. I don't understand. My well is 2". I would prefer to add a regulator and not have to invest in another pump. Is there any reason my pump wouldn't handle the job? I hate to think all my work was in vain. Thanks

MStewart

Reaction score
My mistake. I'm learning slowly about pumps. I'm not sure if I've set the control valve properly. Once the pump get close to 50PSI I back off the valve till it shutters, then I stabilize. The water valve to the house is shut till then. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't have experience with the pumps. But what I would try setting that valve one way or the other to see if the situation improves. You still may need the regulator, but I have hope that the control valve adjustment can help make your system more robust.

What I think I would try is to open a faucet or two with the house valve closed. Then open the house valve slowly and then more while turning the control valve. See if there is a setting that will give good pressure while you are drawing significant water through the house valve.

Last edited:

MStewart

Reaction score
I tried adjusting the control valve on the pump with no success. I'm ready to buy a regulator and wondering what would be the best for my pump. Is the one at Lowes good enough? Will the Goulds AV22 work? What do I do with the control valve on the pump once I install the regulator (close or open it)? Thanks

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Goulds makes one that works well for horizontal pumps. I cannot remember the model #. Let me see if I can find it. Av22 is not really a true regulator. More like a valve.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks