Is there a trick to level a pedestal sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

ShelzMike

Reaction score
So my wife just had to have a pedestal sink. Lord help me now. Since I choose to have a happy life, I am now installing it. What a pain! I am up for the challenge and I'll get it but the one thing that is throwing me is how to level it. With the basin sitting on the pedestal, it is about 1/8" off level. I could maybe shim the side of the pedestal, I thought. Nope. Due to the small size and curve of the bottom, it make it wobble pretty bad and I'd have to put multiple little shims around to get is solid surface.

Now, it doesn't LOOK unlevel, but the torpedo don't lie and I know it is.

Unfortunately, my DWV plumbing goes up behind the sink and is 2" Soni didn't have room to put any blocking. On the right side, I'll be able to get a lag into a stud, but on the left, I am going to have to use a strong toggle bolt so I'm not sure I can level it simply by the wall mount.

One thing I thought I could possibly do is put some sort of something (like a backer rod) on the right top side of the pedestal and have that prop that side of the sink up ever so slightly. Outside of that, I'm not sure of what can be done. Any suggestions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally shim at the pedestal for level. Remember to caulk around the top where it meets the wall too. That helps to also hold it in place.
For pedestals if I'm roughing in and I know it will be a pedestal, I use a trap arm over from the side so that I have space for blocking. It's also helps out the electrician when he boxes for the light fixture centered over the lav.
Toggles are a life saver though when blocking isn't there.