installing toto carlyle, need help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Toto trouble

Reaction score
Received Toto carlyle toilet that I bought online. After reading instructions I see that the toilet is not specified for back to back installations, unless you have a double combination WYE. I have a 4" cast iron double sanitary tee. Does this mean I have to send back this toilet? There is a wet wall separating the toilets, thus increasing the distance between the toilets, does this help? Its Sunday so Toto customer support not available and I was hoping to install it today.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We do it all the time. Most homes have a back to back fixture cross.
It works, but can displace a little water in the opposing bowl. But then any of the new high performance toilets will do the same.
I would go ahead and install it. I did on mine and others.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Double san tees should never be used except in a venting application. If you install that toilet, some of the water/waste could jump across to the other toilet's trap arm. However, I should say, that if you really do have a 4" san tee with 4" trap arms going to each toilet, you should be alright. Most likely the trap arms are very short, being that it is a back to back installation, so the grey water won't accumulate a lot of speed, and the 4" fitting will definitely decrease the chance of water skipping over it compared to a 3" fitting.

However, the instructions do say you should have a double wye (or a double fixture fitting would work as well), so that pretty much says it all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks