Installing a pump in a cistern

Users who are viewing this thread

kenn

Reaction score
Hello;
I'm replacing a jet pump for my cistern with a submersable pump and i have a few questions.
I have a 1800 gallon cistern (formally a coal storage room in my basement) i sealed it up and made a cap for the top.I've been using it for 15 years and it's been working pretty good.do to the noise of the jet pump i'm using (and it's getting tired) i wan't to replace it with a submersable pump.
This is what i plan on doing.
I have 1 h.p. 10 g.p.m. 2-wire sta-rite 2000 pump that i want to put in the tank horizontally. I'm going to make a flow sleeve out of 4" pvc and install the pump on a 15 degree angle.
IS THE FLOW SLEEVE NECESSARY, AND WILL 4" PROVIDE ENOUGH FLOW?
ALSO DOES THE FLOW SLEEVE NEED TO BE SEALED AT DISCHARGE END OF THE PUMP,IS THE 15 DEGREE ANGLE NEEDED?
CAN I PUT A ELBOW ON THE SUCTION END OF THE SLEEVE SO THE PUMP WON'T BE SUCKING OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK?
I also want to hook up a float switch to shut the pump off if the water goes low.WILL A FLOAT SWITCH OFF OF A SUMP PUMP WORK?
I'm going to use 1" pipe to run from the pump to the bladder tank.
any other suggestions on switches,check valves,e.c.t. would be appreciated.
DO I NEED A FUSED SWITCH BOX FROM MY POWER SOURCE?
I know this is a long post and i would like to thank everyone in advance for any help or suggestions to my plan.
THANKS AGAIN KEN

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
CAN I PUT A ELBOW ON THE SUCTION END OF THE SLEEVE SO THE PUMP WON'T BE SUCKING OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK?

WILL A FLOAT SWITCH OFF OF A SUMP PUMP WORK?

I heard somewhere that jet pumps are half as efficient as other types so a 2 hp jet would equal a 1 hp "other." For your sta-rite pump each 1 hp of electricity that you put in gives you 0.2 hp worth of water lifting power.

Depending on how many equivalent feet of straight pipe this elbow comes out to, it might drop your pressure some few PSI.

The sump pump switch needs to be rated for at least as much current as your replacement pump. Your pump at 120v draws a lot of amps.
An arc suppression network may prolong switch life, or you could use the switch to drive a relay that has contacts that can handle a motor load drawing this much current.

Maybe you could put a small pit at the cistern bottom to have the pump lower.
http://www.wellmanager.com/pump_chamber-limitations.htm

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Horizontal pumps do not last. Bad idea..... make a flow sleeve that goes to within 3" if the bottom and stand it up.

BETTER yet use a so called cistern pump with motor OVER that stands up 4" off the bottom. I see them online for $259 and move big quantities of water. Total bargain compared to all that other work. Its a PENTEK, cannot think of the name now, but that is exactly what you want.

A 1/2 HP pump submersible will flow likely MORE than the old 1 HP suction rig. Save some power.

Now I see you HAVE a pump. Take a look at that other pump anyway. If not, use the LONG inducer and keep it upright.

Set the pump in a 5 or 6" pipe cap or a pot or cement block instead of an elbow.

At the pressure tank, install a "low pressure cut out switch" square d and others. Exact replacement for most pressure switches.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks