Identifying/Dating an Old Well

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by shebbear, Nov 4, 2007.

1. shebbear

shebbear New Member

I need help figuring out if this is an old well, and if it is, what to do about it. How do I tell how old it is, and if it has been properly sealed off? How do I tell if there is still an old pump in it? Was this the base of a windmill or the floor of a well house, or???

The property on the edge of a small town in South Texas, in an area where there were some old houses that have been since torn down. The houses would have been some distance from this well, however. The house I am in was moved to the area. This well (?) does not appear on the survey of the property. It was hidden in tall weeds when I discovered it.

Please follow this link to see a photo.
    http://kennedy.cartama.net/well.htm
  2. Rancher

Rancher Guest

Try digging down in the center spot of grass.

It may have been the base for a flagpole, or an artillary emplacement, or one corner of a pole barn with no more pole.

Rancher
  3. CHH

CHH New Member

Coulda been just about anything. Old outhouse maybe?:)
  4. shebbear

shebbear New Member

More info

What I can tell you is that the concrete is about 5 ft square and the hole in the middle is exactly 2 ft across. Although the grass makes it difficult to see in the photo, the hole is a perfect circle and I can tell that the hole extends down (like a cylinder with smooth concrete sides) for at least 3-4 inches (that is as far as I felt with my hand).

A friend wants to stick a metal rod into the hole to see if it hits anything.

If you have any further ideas, I'd be interested in hearing about them.
  5. Rancher

Rancher Guest

OK, that's more info, the concrete cylinder with smooth side indicate there was something in the concrete and has now been removed. Probably not a well casing. Use a post hole digger and dig down a few feet, but I would not expect you will find anything.

Rancher
  6. alternety

alternety Like an engineer

Have you had oil exploration in the area?
  7. shebbear

shebbear New Member

Response

I don't know, but I suppose it's possible.

Whatever this thing is, it's not on the survey of the property.

8. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

It's very rare for wells to be included in surveys. Especially wells that are buried.

bob...
  9. shebbear

shebbear New Member

Response

How interesting...I assumed it would be included.