Issue with Grundfos MQ3-45

Users who are viewing this thread

bill-in-washington

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I moved in my house two years ago, and this Grundfos booster pump has been a pain in the ass since day one. Just recently it got worse, I think right after it was super cold (possibly related). I'm on a "community/shared well". No pump house and I don't know the well depth. The pump is probably pretty old 6-8 years? I don't see a date on anywhere on it.

So now this Grundfos is acting super flaky - takes forever to kick on, and after a while (few days) it will basically stop working/kicking on at all. There are no alarms/errors on the pump - then I'll restart it and seems to work like before - it's like it has a mind of its own.

I've wanted to replace it but everyone quotes me at ~$5k and they want to use some other pump I've never heard of:

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 6.17.55 PM.png

I've looked through the other posts about how shitty these pumps are and I totally agree, but what they hell should I do? Try replacing the flow sensor first? Insurance doesn't cover this since it's "normal wear and tear" God this sucks.

If I have to replace it, what to replace it with? And how to avoid paying a ridiculous amount of money?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sorry for your problem. The MQ is not a reliable or long lasting pump. You also do not want to jump from the frying pan into the fire by switching to an ezbox or some other variable speed type pump. The PK1A kit will make any pump into a long lasting constant pressure pump. You can use a 500-800 dollar pump like a Goulds J10S or J15S or any of the many less expensive shallow well jet pumps available.

But you should be able to do this for less than $1,000.00 and have something that will last.

Shallow Well Pump with PK1A.png

bill-in-washington

Reaction score
I literally bought one of those J10S Goulds back when I moved in, and the tech told me that wont work for me so I returned it. How can I find someone who will do what you are suggesting here? Everyone only wants to do it their way.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I literally bought one of those J10S Goulds back when I moved in, and the tech told me that wont work for me so I returned it. How can I find someone who will do what you are suggesting here? Everyone only wants to do it their way.
Sorry for the delay. That is why so many people are doing it themselves these days. Can't find competent contractors. You can usually still find a good plumber, and that is all you need to install a simple system like the PK1A. I have talked many plumbers through the installation in just a few minutes.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you were more specific in your location, you might get an actual suggestion. But Spokane is a long way from Kirkland.

bill-in-washington

Reaction score
Ok I'm willing to give it a shot. Don't suppose you have a video or step-by-step guide? And what about the random parts/connectors that I will need? Or everything is included in that kit? Just the pump and the kit and I'm set?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Ok I'm willing to give it a shot. Don't suppose you have a video or step-by-step guide? And what about the random parts/connectors that I will need? Or everything is included in that kit? Just the pump and the kit and I'm set?
You can also call us and we will talk you through it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks