Ice maker Outlet Box Valve Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Turn the water off at the main shut off valve, remove the copper tube and the remove the ice maker valve, it could be the threaded type. If it is, any angle stop can replace it, if it fits the water supply pipe and the copper tube.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes I have to replace the entire box.

icemaker_box.jpg

Most of straight threads on the inlet made for the securing nut, but not tapered. This one expects you to solder 1/2" copper pipe to the inside inlet.

And here is one for PEX.

icemaker_rough_low.jpg

Taylorjm

Reaction score
I'd say your probably screwed without tearing the wall out. Chances are you can't just put a wrench on that valve and remove it because you can't get to the back side to hold back on, if it's just screwed into a pipe. Or if it's like the pictures, you would have to cut most of the wall out to get to the pipes. I had a similar issue with the washing machine box, the gate valves won't shut off completely, but they don't leak. My solution was to put a nice new ball valve on my main water line in the basement. If I need to change my washing machine hoses, I can turn the main off easy and quick. It's also in a good spot and well labeled so if the wife or kids have any kind of issue with water or a leak and I'm not around, they can easily turn the water off to the house. As long as your valve isn't leaking, I'd leave well enough alone. You aren't going to go back there and turn off the ice maker daily, weekly, or even monthly. Probably only every 10 years when you replace a refrigerator.

Reach4

Reaction score
MY REAL QUESTION is: Can I put a wrench on the nut below the valve and another wrench on the valve body and remove the upper part of the valve ONLY?
I doubt it. That would be a nice feature... but how about this for a workaround:
511-30-30-3.jpg

1/4 inch compression inline valve. Cut the existing tube, and use the valve to put the tube back together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks