Ice maker water supply tee

Users who are viewing this thread

bbruck

Reaction score
I'm trying to run a tee of my ice maker supply line to a fill valve for my coffee maker. This is new construction on a slab. The supply line for the ice maker is a 1/4" braided line with male/female threaded ends. The line to the coffee maker is a 1/4" plastic tube. Thus, what I need is a 1/4" female 1/4" male 1/4" push tee. I can't find one anywhere. I guess this 1/4" valve/braided supply line is something new - at least I never saw it before. Can anyone help me locate the tee I need?

I mention the slab etc. because I can't access water pipes anywhere else...

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Is the ice maker line in a wall box with a shut off valve? Braided lines do not go under slabs. It should be connected to a wall box where it can be removed and a tee installed at the wall box but that can take some doing.

08711095.jpg

Eman85

Reaction score
If the plastic line is the correct size and type you can use a standard compression fitting T and use a nut, ferrule and insert in the plastic.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
If the plastic line is the correct size and type you can use a standard compression fitting T and use a nut, ferrule and insert in the plastic.
From bbruck description, I believe the braided line is from a wall box to the refrigerator. He wants to tee off the braided line which is not possible.

bbruck

Reaction score
Thank you all for your willingness to help a newbie. I'll study your responses and go to mycoffeepot.org.
To clarify my situation, however, I have an ice maker line in a wall box with a shut off valve. I cannot replace the valve without professional help, and cannot access behind the valve because the line runs under a slab (vs. going into a basement where I would have more options). The current 1/4-inch braided line screws into the 1/4-inch valve like a garden hose screws into a hose bib - but I don't know if that's called a compression fitting or what the name of that connection is. The supply line I need to connect is a milky-white 1/4" plastic tube. I'm not sure what the name of the type connector is needed here - a "push connector" (my words) would work or the type where you put an insert into the tube with a nut and washer and screw it into the TEE (perhaps that's a compression fitting?).

So bottom line is I need a tee where there's a 1/4" male and female threaded sides (technical name unknown), and some way to tee off a 1/4" plastic line.

I guess if I knew the name for the fittings I could better google the part I need! And again thanks for all the help so far! :) :)

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
It looks like there are no tees made that is 1/4" all around for what is needed. You could call Brass craft if such one is made. This is what is needed in 1/4 all around.

Where the coffee maker is, is the kitchen sink on the same counter? If yes you can change the cold water stop valve with a dual shut off valve.

To be able to tee off the ice maker wall box is possible, however it may be beyond your skill set. Between the floor and ice box there should be about 12". Remove the trim ring of the wall box and cutout drywall below it. It should be possible to tee off the supply line and install a second wall box.

Another way is using a short length of 1/4" copper tubing but it must be formed to a curve using a spring bender so it hugs the wall. Remove the braided line install the copper tubing using a compression fitting. At the other end install a 1/4"x1/4"x1/4" tee with compression fitting. One end to the tubing with a compression fitting, the braid line is just thread on to the fitting. The water line to the coffee maker would be threaded on or use a compression fitting with a sleeve inserted and compression nut.

If this is important you may just have to hire someone.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks